chapter thirty five

WISE WORDS OF SIRIUS BLACK CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

The first thing Adelaide woke up to was the image of James Potter, fast asleep with his mouth slightly open, and his leg over her hip, trapping her in his embrace. She tried to move as quietly as she could, but gave up the moment he squeezed his arms around her waist and pulled her closer, mumbling a slurred 'don't move' with a frown on his face. It took about 10 minutes until she felt his hold loosen just enough for her to move, carefully raising his arms up so she could leave the bed and get on with her day.

It didn't miss her when she thought about how normal it felt to sleep and wake up next to him, she found it oddly comforting to hear his light snores and feel the warmth of his body next to her as she fell asleep. Even the night before, the first time she slept next to him, she found herself forgetting about her nightly terrors, her mind completely blank, but in the best way possible. It was peaceful, and for the first time in a while, she found the silence soothing — unlike fearing that there was always something catching up to her.

The sleeping presence of James beside her offered her a night to breathe and rest from her fear-ridden mind. And, in a sense, she found solace in that.

She just hoped that it would linger for a little longer until she decided to talk to him. It was just another thing she couldn't afford to lose: peace.

And out of all the people she could've sought that in, it was him.

- - ┈┈˃̶˂̶┈┈ - -

Two of the things Adelaide didn't expect when she reached the kitchens were the sound of the kettle boiling, and an exceptionally bright Sirius Black, with a seemingly energetic aura as he paced around the kitchen with a wide grin on his face, in front of the stove. She had expected either Remus or Peter to be the first ones awake out of their friend group, Lily in hers, so it was a surprise to see Sirius be the first one up, and additionally so cheery early in the morning.

"Good morning," she greeted, her voice going up a slight pitch at the end.

Sirius jumped at the sudden greeting, flinching barely noticeably, but collected himself immediately and threw a beaming smile towards Adelaide. "Morning," he replied, smiling as he turned off the stove and poured the boiling water in his mug. "Tea?"

Adelaide nodded, grabbing a mug of her own from the cupboards and placing a teabag in, before holding it out for Sirius to pour the water. She mumbled a thank you before grabbing two sugar cubes and mixing it in.

"Sleep well?" Sirius spoke, a smug smirk on his face as he sipped his tea and waited for Adelaide to reply, earning a dismissive scoff.

"Nothing happened, if that's the answer you want," she stated, following his actions and sipping her drink.