chapter nineteen

FAMILY STORIESCHAPTER NINETEENWARNING: mention of death

FAMILY STORIES
CHAPTER NINETEEN
WARNING: mention of death

James Potter knew something changed the moment he kissed Adelaide that night. He knew something within him had changed the second he looked at her differently. And he wasn't sure if it was something he enjoyed or not.

The boy had always thought that Lily Evans would be the only girl he would give his utmost attention to, the years of creative attempts in asking the girl out would prove that. At the time, he didn't mind the rejection — he thought it part of the thrill every time. But over the course of five years, much like every other person who got rejected, he started to feel discouraged. Sad, even. By the end of sixth year was when he realized that he only loved the idea of dating the girl, as well the chase; somehow, realizing that fact released a huge weight off of his chest. The idea of going out with an intelligent, mature, kind, and responsible girl like Lily was rousing for the Gryffindor.

It wasn't like he didn't have feelings for Lily, no, he truly did feel something for her. In fact, one might even say she was his "first love." It was in their second year when his crush on her started to grow, and when he also confessed to everyone in Scotland that he liked her. He never really paid attention to any other girl romantically if they weren't Lily Evans. He would have occasional hook-ups and flings, but even then, he made it clear that he was dead set on having a date with Lily and living the rest of his life with her. All his future plans were laid out — graduate Hogwarts, become an auror, and marry the girl of his dreams. The downside of that, though, was that he had planned those when he was 12, and he was 17 now.

Five years is a long time to grow and change, James knew that much. But it had never really occurred to him that it was possible to feel...attracted to a different girl — let alone his ex-crush's best friend.

Only now did James realize how present Adelaide was in his life. Not just in terms of academics like sitting together in Transfiguration, sharing the same classes, or being in the same house. His friends were her friends and her friends were his, so wherever he went she was almost always there. He started noticing her more now, and whenever his gaze would lay on her, he would feel his heart start to flutter in the best way possible.

He recognized that feeling, he had felt it many a time when Lily would pass by or give him a small smile. And he felt almost guilty that he's feeling that way for her best friend now — even though there was never really anything going on with him and either of the two girls.

"Prongsie!" Sirius called in a sing-song manner, walking to the messy-haired boy with a spring in his step. He plopped himself on James' bed, his body weighing down on him, making the boy groan.

"I missed you!"

"Merlin, Pads! Get off! You're crushing me!" James complained, using his arms to push the dog animagus off.