II

I woke up to a happy birthday text from my oldest brother.

Scott: happy birthday you imbecile

Avery: thanks. I feel so special.

Scott: i know. As your birthday present I've decided to let you come out here and be my house slave. I need a maid.

Avery: that's what wives are for go get one

Scott: you'll have to do for now

Avery: are you being sincere because I would very much like to leave this place

Scott: yes, I need help around here

Avery: alright, I'll come asap, soon as I can find a plane ticket

Scott: sounds good. I'm not going to have service for a few weeks but I'll talk to you after that

Avery: okay

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I brought it up around breakfast.

"So Scott said today that he is needing somebody to help out at the ranch and he wouldn't mind if I came and lived there," I said as casually as possible.

Aunt Jessica stopped buttering toast and turned to stare at me.

"Well that's really out of the question Avery."

"How come?"

"Because," she spoke each word clearly, "Your brother is in no position to raise a teenager. That is why your father left you in our care."

I didn't want to sound ungrateful, but I knew my dad didn't give a crap about who I lived with, because as far as he was concerned, I had already been raised and was old enough to take care of myself.

"Dad wouldn't mind... He thinks I'm responsible enough to do a lot of things on my own."

"Well, we both know your father has not always exercised his best judgment. "

I set my jaw and looked out the window, too angry to reply. As if my dad didn't realize the disastrous mistake he'd made two years ago.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I knew I couldn't talk anymore without becoming disrespectful, so I closed my mouth and walked back to the table and finished my breakfast.

My aunt sent me a sympathetic glance, but I could see the steel behind it. She would always do what she thought best, and she would not be moved. I knew there was no further point in talking to her, unless I begged perhaps, and I never stooped to begging. Even then I was pretty sure she wouldn't budge on this one.

Uncle Drew gave me a little smile, and I sensed that he meant to cheer me. He was a good guy. But he wouldn't go up against my aunt more than anyone else.

°°°

"Avery, all you do is hide in your room and play with the dog, please go down there and socialize with someone your age."

Laughter and music floated up the stairwell that led to the basement, and I shuddered at the thought of butting my way into that group of popular seniors and college students. Aunt Jessica had zero clue about teen social status. I was so low on the totem pole I wasn't sure if I was even on it. There were nerds, there were weirdos, and then there were homeschoolers. I didn't think I was weird, but I was definitely not in the group. Any group. As much as I tried, I did not mesh, and it was embarrassingly obvious.