XXX

"Angel, would you and Ethan mind finishing up here? I've going home," Dego spoke to the two remaining people in the room.

"I gotcha Dego, you go on," Aiden called from a table he was cleaning off.

"Okay, do you want me to show her how to close?" Angel asked, refusing to even say my name as usual.

"Not tonight, she's actually coming with me," he said briskly, handing me my coat and flashing a quick smile as he stepped around her.

I put my sleeves into the coat and sidestepped the seething girl, grabbing my purse and following Dego.

"Goodnight y'all," I called.

"Goodnight Avery, see ya," Aiden called.

Angel had her back to me and I didn't bother listening to see if she'd say anything.

Dego put his hand on my waist as he led me to my Jeep, and I shivered. It was mid October and beginning to be very cold in the evenings.

"Follow me," he said, shutting my door with a smile.

There were no cars this time when we pulled into his driveway, and I didn't know if it was because it wasn't the day of the week that they all came or if he'd told his family to stay away, but I was kindof glad it would just be us.

The same warm, inviting smell enveloped me when I entered his house, and realized it was from several candles burning throughout.

"Dego, do you leave these candles burning all day? You could burn your house down," I chided, leaning over to smell one.

"No, my housekeeper lights them when she's done, and she only cleans an hour before I get home on this day so it's not a big deal," he said, tossing his keys on the counter.

"Ahh, I see. Well still ya never know," I said.

"Are you..." Dego approached me and caged me in with his hands resting on the counter behind me," telling me... what to do...young lady?"

I giggled nervously. "Noooo...I'm just...offering...an alternative viewpoint you may not have considered?"

He threw his head back and laughed.

"Oh that's what you call it eh?"

"Mhmm."

"Well thank you for that alternative viewpoint, but I like my candles so you'll have to not let it bother you."

"I've never heard of a guy caring about candles before."

"Well I'm special," he said in a somewhat childish voice, making me laugh and push him away.

He retreated laughing and grabbed a teapot.

"What do you want to drink?"

"Hmmmm do you have... hot chocolate?"

"You can check, that cupboard right there," he motioned.

I found some and in a few minutes I kicked off my shoes and sat on the couch with my hot mug cradled in my hands, Dego sinking down next to me.

"What do you feel like watching?" He asked, turning on Netflix.

"Hmmmm...I like...dramas, comedies...documentaries, thrillers. Not horror movies, but thrillers."

"Okay, let's find a thriller," he said, grinning.

I liked scaring myself, not causing psychological and spiritual damage to my body.

"Hey, do you have anything more comfortable to change into?" Dego asked, turning to me.

"Oh...no I didn't think about that," I said dismayed. I was thinking about it now though, glancing down at how my skirt was riding up around my thighs and the buttons on my shirt were straining uncomfortably across my chest. Definetely not clothing for lounging on a sofa.