XXIV

The next day I got dressed nicely, did some light makeup, hopped in my brother's Jeep Cherokee and headed east.

Once I decided I was done with construction I was done, and no one was going to deter me from my new goal.

I pulled up to the restaurant and the elegance of it somewhat intimidated me, however I forced myself to continue in through the doors and walk up to the bar.

" What can we get for you today?" A young waiter asked.

" I was offered a job here a little while ago, and I was just curious to see if y'all were still hiring," I said, trying not to let my nerves show through.

"I believe we are," he said, organizing some menus and stowing them beneath the bar," but I'll let you talk to the man in charge," he said with a wink. " You just wait right there and I'll bring him out."

I nodded my head and smiled, taking a step back and surveying the restaurant. The lights were somewhat dim, giving off a romantic glow, and it was just as classy inside as it promised from the outside.

I saw through the window that the deck we had built was full of tables now.

"Hello beautiful, what can we do for you today," a voice spoke, startling me so that I whipped my head back around.

It was the man who'd spoken to me when I was sanding the deck. I realized for the first time how... startlingly attractive he was. I must have been too tired to notice the first time.

" I remembered how you were saying the other day that y'all were hiring, and I was just curious if you still were," I said with a polite smile.

"Yes we are. When can you start?" He asked, putting both hands casually on the counter.

"I-uh-antime works for me- I'm fairly flexible Sir," I said.

"How bout this morning?"

"Ah- sure, that works for me," I said, surprised, not having expected it to be this easy.

"Awesome. And what's your name?"

"Avery. Avery Blackwood."

He nodded, motioning for me to follow him. "Call me Dego."

"Yes Sir."

I heard him softly chuckle, but he didn't correct me.

"I like the way you talk, where are you from?"

"Oh-ah- Florida. A small town in Florida," I explained, blushing.

"Ahh, gotcha. I own a house in Daytona Beach."

"Really? That's not far from where I lived at all, maybe 45 minutes," I exclaimed delightedly.

"Small world," he said, turning around and flashing me a grin. We were in what appeared to be the break room. He opened a cabinet and began rummaging around.

"What size Sweetheart?" He had a slight iaccent, and although I couldn't place it, I had to say, I was a sucker for accents.

"Small, or medium...it depends," I said, coming closer to look.

"It's a button up blouse," he said, then glanced down at my chest. " I think you're a small."

Well damn, okay.

"Okay...um, can I try on the medium too?" I asked shyly.

"Yeah sure," he said, smirking a little as he handed me two shirts.

I didn't want to know what he was thinking.

He showed me the bathroom and I changed; I had a slender enough build for a small, however, I couldn't button it up far enough due to the size of my chest. I put on the medium and folded the small, exiting the bathroom, surprised the see Dego leaning against the table waiting for me. I sortof expected the owner of the restaurant to have more important things to do than cater to a new employee, but I appreciated it.

I think I instantly liked him, although I tried to reign back some of these feelings, because I was aware that a large portion of them could be simply because of his extremely attractive looks and way of talking. He was charming, in essence.

He couldn't be any younger than 35, maybe 40 even, because he had grey beginning to streak his hair and his trimmed beard, but he obviously worked out and it only added to his aura.

"Medium fits better," I said, handing him the small.

"Alright," he said with a shrug. "Your jeans are okay for work by the way, nothing ripped though, just always wear one of these shirts, and we'll get you a name tag. "

"Yes Sir," I nodded.

"Alright, I'm going to show you the kitchen now, find someone to train you on all the stuff you can do and what you need to know."

"Okay," I nodded. I was still a little stunned at having been hired so quickly.

I followed him into the kitchen where he handed me off to a girl a little younger looking than me and instructed her to train me.

"Alright, I've got some other stuff to do, but if you need me or have any other questions I'll be in my office. Bring your social and your ID to work tomorrow and we'll get you set up, got it?" He said, resting a hand on my shoulder.

I nodded." Yes Sir."

"Good,"He held my gaze for just a moment longer than necessary, a slow grin curling his lips, and then he walked back out through the swinging doors.

I turned to the girl who had only moments before smiled sweetly at me to see an expression of disgust on her face.

I raised my eyebrows and nearly asked her what the matter was, when she looked me slowly up and down, sneered openly at me, and then turned away, calling in a flat tone for me to follow her. I didn't need to ask then. I could see clearly that I was the matter, for whatever reason.

I mentally rolled my eyes and braced myself. Some people became bitches through life circumstances and some were just born bitches. I would try to give her the benefit of the doubt.