XXVII

"Do you wanna ride with me over? It's not far," he said.

"Oh no, that's alright, I'll just bring my car over so you don't feel like you have to drive me back here," I said, knowing he would insist on doing that.

"Alright, that's fine, just follow me."

His house had a bunch of cars out in front, and I was suddenly self conscious, still in my work uniform and not feeling dressed up enough for a party.

Dego walked a few steps down the drive towards me and motioned for me to follow him with an encouraging smile.

"Come on."

"I- I didn't realize you're having a party."

"Oh no it's not a party, that's just some of my family. " He laughed and headed up the drive.

"Wow, only some of them? " I asked.

"Yeah just a few," he said, holding the door open for me.

I stepped inside, the warmth of the house enveloping me. I took off my jacket and Dego promptly took it from me and placed it on the coat rack.

"Mmmm it smells so good in here," I said, inhaling.

He smiled and took me gently by the elbow.

I decided I was beginning to like this man a lot.

He led me into the kitchen, which was full of people, and raised his voice.

"Hey! Everybody, this is Avery."

Everyone turned towards us and got quiet, then immediately started talking and introducing themselves so that they're was no way I had any idea what anyone's names were by the river they quieted down.

"Nice to meet you all," I said, nodding and unconsciously stepping a little closer to Dego. I felt his arm go around my shoulder and I was glad.

He led me through the crowd of people and over to the sofa in the next room.

"You can sit down if you like, I'm gonna go change, I'll be right back."

"Alright."

I turned around and observed the family as they interacted; there was a lot of yelling, but not all of it was angry sounding, and several little kids were running all over the place.

One little girl stopped in front of me.

"Are you Uncle Dego's new girlfriend?"

"No... I'm not,I'm just his-um, his friend," I said, smiling at her.

"Ohh...well you should be his girlfriend because he doesn't have one," she said, and ran off giggling when Dego came up behind her and scared her. "Get out of here Olivia," he growled, with pretend anger.

He dropped onto the couch next to me, his arm around my shoulders once more, and I caught the scent of his cologne, which smelled very sensual and good but made me a little light headed. He was now dressed in a close fitting t-shirt and a pair of sweat pants, but the thin gold chain he always wore was still around his neck.

If I thought he was attractive at work...well, he was sexy at home. No other word really fit.

Dego talked animatedly with his family from where he sat, and I merely observed, perfectly content to watch the fiery exchange going on in front of me.

I didn't even know what they were talking about because I was pretty sure everything was in Greek which didn't bother me in the least, it was one of my latest language obsessions anyway, even though I apparently had not gotten far in the fluency department.