XXXIV

We watched a TV show that night, and got through three episodes before I conked out again.

"Hey," Dego said, shaking me awake," I set your alarm for you and if you're good on the couch you can just go right to sleep."

I nodded sleepily to him, and he stood up to leave.

Impulsively, I reached an arm out to him for a hug.

Dego leaned down and scooped me up, squeezing me tightly to his chest and lifting me several inches off the couch.

I felt him press another kiss to my cheek as he laid me back down, so close I felt him graze the corner of my mouth.

I was too sleepy to do anything other than smile a little and roll over onto my stomach.

I heard him click off the lamp and then head to his own room, and I was out.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Our flight left at 9:00 in the morning, but we had a layover in Denver and by the time we got to Orlando including the time difference, it was well into the evening.

The plane was the most luxurious I'd ever flown on, however not to extravagant otherwise I'd have told Dego I would be flying a different airline and I would see him in Florida.

I finished two movies that I had been wanting to see but hadn't had the time to sit down and watch them.

Dego rented a convertible car, against my protests because of the price of it, and we headed north.

We were going to stay at the Airbnb for several days and then go visit my dad, and I was glad, Because I was far too tired by nine o clock to talk to anyone.

We finally pulled into the driveway of the two story beach house and climbed out, glad to stretch our legs.

It was so beautiful I was speechless, and suddenly my energy returned as I became excited to explore the place

I got my suitcase from the back seat and jogged up the sidewalk to the front door, bouncing on my feet as I waited for Dego to catch up with me.

"You act like you've never been on vacation before," He laughed at me, taking his sweet time walking up the sidewalk and producing the keys.

"Technically I haven't, unless you count a few camping trips here and there," I said.

"Are you serious?" He said incredulously.

"Quite," I said.

"Well then," he said, unlocking the front door and pushing it open," I hope you enjoy this one."

I gasped as I stepped inside, unable to contain my surprise.

It was the most beautiful house I'd ever been in, and I could not believe I would be staying here.

"Wow. Wow, wow, wow."

"Like it?" Dego asked, grinning at me.

"The pictures do not do it justice," I said, shaking my head.

I walked over and looked out the sliding glass door, leading to a balcony and stairs leading down to the beach.

It was twilight, and you could vaguely see the ocean waves through the misty air.

"Oh, do you want to run to the beach with me before it gets completely dark?" I asked excitedly. " I haven't seen the ocean in so long," I breathed, seeing my suitcase down and taking off my shoes.

"Why not," Dego said, and kicked his off as well. We were both in sweatpants, but we didn't bother changing.

I opened the sliding door and padded out on to the deck, breathing in a gust of the salty air, which whipped my hair back fiercely.

All the memories I had of times at the beach growing up returned in a rush, bringing tears to my eyes. Oh it felt good to be back, where even the air felt like home, the warmth of it settling around me like a blanket.

I ran straight into the waves, letting them spill around my knees, not caring that I got wet, and then I retreated, running a few steps back. I looked at Dego, and he was looking at me, and I laughed with pure happiness.

For a little while, I forgot about Weston, I forgot about my struggles, I forgot about anything but this simple moment, chasing waves on the beach next to a beautiful human who was enjoying the same thing I was.