V

We packed up and got on the road again, traveling for several hours before stopping for lunch at a tiny Georgia diner.

I checked my wallet to make sure I hadn't accidentally gained a few bucks, but no, my fifty dollar bill was still there, alone. I had spent all my ones and fives earlier, and I was certainly not going to break such a beautiful fifty dollar bill. Yes, I could have spent it on food, but I had been gaslighting myself, remember. I am extremely good at that.

I followed Weston into the diner, awkwardly ducking under his arm as I realized he was trying to hold the door for me.

A sweet looking girl smiled brightly and told us to follow her; Weston placed his hand on my lower back as if to guide me, making my insides pool with warmth. He didn't remove it until I sat down. I remembered the way Chase had done the same thing, and his uncomfortable it made me.

It didn't bother me at all when Weston touched me, it felt innocent.

"What are you gonna get?"

"Oh..I'm not really that hungry, I don't think I'll get anything," I said.

" Really? It's 2 o'clock...why aren't you hungry?"

"Just not."

"Whatever..."

He ordered a basket of Chicken fingers and fries, and my organs cried inside as I watched him consume my favorite meal.

When he was done he shoved the rest of the fries and remaining chicken finger towards me.

"I'm just gonna throw it away."

"Okay, I guess I'll have a bite," I said. I nibbled on the fries until he got up to use the restroom, then quickly devoured the rest of the plate and cleaned up the table so he wouldn't know just how hungry I'd been.

He came back out and I smiled nicely.

"Ready to go?"

"Yes Sir."

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

We drove until we reached the mountains of Tennessee, and Weston turned his maps off and drove by memory.

"I wanted to stop by and see my family for a day, that a'ight with you?"

"Of course. Haven't I met one of your brothers?"

"Probably, he comes down every once in a while."

"Yeah, I think I had a crush on him for a while," I joked, to see what he would say.

Weston turned and glared at me.

"Is that right?"

"Maybe."

"He's way too old for you. By a decade."

"That's fine, I don't care."

His lip curled. "Luckily the law does."

"How old is he?"

"Twenty-six."

"Oh that's kinda hot," I said with a smirk.

"What a little..." Weston looked at me and shook his head.

"What?"

"I'm not gonna say what I was thinking."

"Tell me."

"Nope."

"Whatever. It's not like he would like me back anyway."

He just snorted and shook his head again.

"Dude, that was a long time ago, I like somebody else now."