XIV

I woke up when I felt someone gently touching my arm, rubbing a soft little circle with their thumb above my elbow. The sweetness of the action caused a warmth to spread through me, and I rolled over in bed to face Weston.

I smiled at him and reached out my hand to touch his hair, which was messy and so adorable. He always looked younger in the morning, with slightly puffy eyes and pouty lips, but this morning he also had a look to his face I had never seen before. When my hand slid from his hair down his neck, and began to explore his chest, he took it gently and covered it with his own, stopping me.

"What?" I asked softly.

"No."

"No what?" I examined his face, trying to guage his attitude. His eyes glistened with something.

"I shouldn't have started all that yesterday. I'm sorry. It was a moment of weakness. Several moments of weakness." Despite his words I decided what the look on his face was. Desire. He wanted me, as much as I wanted him.

"Well, I enjoyed those moments," I breathed.

"I know," his gaze flicked down to my mouth, then further down.

I leaned forward and planted a kiss in the middle of his chest. His quick intake of breath was barely audible, but I heard it and I wanted to make him do it again, to pant the way we had after kissing in the hot tub last night.

"I want to kiss you again," I told him.

"You just did." His mouth quirked.

"On your mouth. I want you to kiss the heck out of me like you did last night. Please. I liked it a lot."

He full on grinned at this, then rolled onto his back and stretched without replying, then rolled back in my direction, draping a heavy arm over my waist, carefully, like he wanted to touch me but not take it too far.

"West?"

"Shhh."

I sighed in disappointment.

We were only twelve hours away from my brothers ranch. If we drove all day today we would get there by tonight-and that would be the last I saw of Weston for...a long time probably, maybe ever. We were really nothing to each other. There was no reason for us to see each other again, unless he wanted what I wanted.

I was broken away from my thoughts by a text message. I sniffled and grabbed it from the nightstand.

It was Scott, wondering if I was still coming or not.

I clicked my phone off and tossed it back on the nightstand. I would text him back later.

With a groan I stretched underneath the weight of half of Weston's body, which didn't seem to affect him much at all.

With a firm shove I pushed him off of me and onto his back, and got up and got dressed. I needed some thinking time.

I picked up the complementary bible from the nightstand and flipped to a random new testament book and read a few chapters. I felt the tension leave my body and a peace fill me after that.  I had slacked off my reading for a few days and it was showing. I considered asking God if he would make Weston like me back, but I felt childish asking that, so I just thought it in my mind, and hoped God would read my thoughts.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

I finished getting ready for the day, put on some light makeup and brushed my hair until it was straight and shining, laying down my back neatly, and went and woke Weston up, who had fallen back asleep.

He opened his eyes groggily and tried to roll over  but I continued to nudge him until he lifted himself up on his elbow and groaned.

"What's the matter Ave?" He asked squinting. There went another nickname.

"Nothing's the matter, it's just nine o'clock and I thought you might wanna wake up," I said with a smile.

He groaned and fell onto his back again. The blanket was down around his hips now and I could see his v-line, and my eyes drifted down the happy trail leading from his naval to the waist of his boxers. I blinked forcefully and spun around, not wanting him to see me checking him out.

I went over and crashed on the other bed and turned the TV on while I waited for him.

After a few minutes he sat up, tossed aside the blankets, and headed to the bathroom.
He came out a while later, freshly showered, with a towel around his waist and grabbed some clothes, then retreated back to the bathroom to change.

He came out again, this time dressed in wranglers and a snug fitting t-shirt, and smelling of cologne. His hair was pretty short but it was still a little messy from the shower. He flung the towel into the hamper and turned to me.

"Ready to go darlin'?" He asked.

I climbed of the bed with a nod, turning the TV off.

My stuff had never left its pack, so I picked it up and slung it over my shoulder. Wes did the same and followed me out the door.

"Hey," he said to we as I stated down the hall.

"What?" I asked turning around.

He smiled. " Can I give you a hug?"

My mouth parted in surprise.

"Why would you ask that? Of course." I stepped forward without hesitation and gave him a tight hug. He tightened his grip around me even more and then leaned back, lifting me off the floor a few inches. I smiled at him as he set me down, and he smiled back, a gentle, small smile, and then reached out and cupped the back of my neck in his hand, leaned forward and kissed my forehead. My eyes fluttered closed for half a second, and when I opened them he was already walking, and I turned to follow him down the hall and wonder what the heck that was for. There was absolutely nothing sexual about that.

He must have done that for me, because he wouldn't kiss me this morning, and it was his way of sort of apologizing. I sighed. He was trying to end what he'd started, ease me away from the idea of it softly, and I didn't like it. I didn't see a reason why it had to end.