IX

We walked into the lobby of Cracker Barrel and had to wait to be seated, so we wandered around and looked at everything for a while.

"Do you like these?" Weston picked up a candy cane.

"Yes!" I joined him at the display.

"Which flavor?"

"Butter and rum."

He scanned the shelf and grabbed a fistful full of butter and rum sticks, handing them to me.

"Um...." I looked up at him but he was already walking another direction.
"Thanks...do you want any?"

"Nope they're yours." He shook his head firmly.

"I don't need this much candy," I laughed," we'll share."

He gave me a sweet smile. "Okay."

I went and looked at the clothes and found a magnificent looking cape, something that you would only wear if you were Paul Revere on a dark night galloping through a storm on horseback, and my dramatic self decided I was going to spend my last fifty bucks on it. Only Cracker Barrel sold stuff like that.

I took it from it's hanger and walked towards the front, bumping into Weston when he stepped out in front of me.

"Where you going?" He asked, looking at my item.

"To checkout."

"M'kay," he said, still eying it.

He followed me to the register and when she told me my total, and said I could put my card in, I rumaged in my wallet to get my cash when I heard something beep and looked up to see Weston taking his card out of the machine.

I made a small sounds of protest, and before I could say anything he took me by the hand, gave me my bag, bid the cashier a good day and led me into the dining area.

I was speachless on two different levels, first him buying my ridiculously impractical cape  and second, the way he was holding my hand.

He pulled out my chair and seated me,
Then sat across from me and smiled at me innocently.

" Thank you Weston, that was really sweet, but I'll pay you back," I started, but was promptly cut off.

" Don't worry about it, I wanted to get you something."

" Why...?" I asked, with a puzzled smile.

He didn't say anything for a minute, just looked me in the eyes for a while, a smile playing about his lips.

"Just because," he finally said, then looked out the window,and I could tell he was embarrassed.

"Okay then," I laughed, and decided to drop it. " Thank you again, I don't know why but I really like that thing."

"I can tell." He said with a smirk.

He ordered me to pick something so I finally did, and as I was starving in reality, I complied. It was so good I ended up eating some of his food that he didn't want in addition to mine.

"That was so good," I said, patting my full stomach on the way out.

"Oh yeah," he agreed, stretching his arms above his head and groaning.
He left cash on the table and I left a tip, and then we headed outside to his truck.

"Alright we need to go find somewhere to set up camp. Suggestions?"

"I'm not from Kentucky I don't know," I shrugged.

"We're in Illinois."

"Oh. Not from there either."

Weston put his arm around my neck in a headlock, leading me to the the passenger side. "Look it up on your phone smartass."