n i n e

n i n e

"I am warning you out of the goodness of my heart, Oh-Ophelia-", I interrupt Kofi before he can continue.

"Wow, you have one of those?"

Kofi gives me a squinted glare before mockingly mimicking my words.

"Anyway, Nikki is not in a good mood today", Kofi says as he guides me to our designated table. I glance up at him, confused by his words. He notices my perplexity and nods in agreement.

"She found your social media account and well...she's not happy", he informs me.

"What did I do?", I ask and mentally scan through my Instagram account, the only social media account I have. I am happy with it, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it. I hand my food tray over to Kofi, and dig in my bag, sliding my iPhone out of its small hidden pocket. I open the app, going into my profile and stare with genuine puzzlement at my screen.

"I don't see anything wrong with it, Kofi", I shake my head and slide my phone back into my bag

"She thinks it looks Satanic", Kofi rolls his eyes and snorts through his nose.

"This small town is really draining me", I mutter and take my tray from him, walking with determination to our lunch table. Nikki is already seated and speaks in a hushed whisper to her brother, who still hasn't spoken a single word to me. When I slide my tray down, my sudden confidence slips away and I feel disarmed. I hate when that happens, but also understand why. I am not a confrontational person, at all. Kofi shoots me an apologetic glance at slides down next to me, turning to talk to Eben. I quietly take a baby carrot from my tray and chew on it, contemplating whether it is worth sitting here at a table that makes me feel unwelcome.

My eyes glance to the table where I sat two days ago but am surprised to see it is occupied by a lone girl with pale skin and rosy cheeks. Her long hazelnut hair hangs to her chest, and she is bending over something, working hard and vicariously as she scribbles with a near-impossible human speed.

Maybe I should join her? She looks alone and I know how that feels. Just as I turn to gather my things, the cafeteria doors swing open and a group of four individuals walk in. A gush of cold air rushes along with their entrance, and it is almost like the entire cafeteria is shunned to silence by their appearance - and why wouldn't they be. These four specimens are inhumanely beautiful. They walk with the grace that no one else possesses, and I cannot help but imagine them floating - that's how elegant they are. You hardly recognize their movements. Although to the naked eye they are flawless, I cannot help but notice how pale they are - sickeningly pale. I cannot help but compare them to the image of the constant spirits I found myself surrounded by. That is when I start to wonder. Can everyone see them? Aren't they alive at all? Teenagers stuck in a constant state between life and death?

"Ah, so you've finally seen the Cullens", Kofi whispers near my ear. I freeze and slowly turn my head to face him, my visible questions clear in my eyes. So they are real and alive.