f o r t y - f o u r

f o r t y - f o u r

"Happy birthday!"

I am greeted by an abundance of foil balloons tied together, wound around a small weight that keeps it grounded. The balloons differ in various shades of pink and orange, held together with white lint. The minivan that Esmé lent to her children, flows with celebratory decorations. Six of the ten Cullen coven members are gathered in the Homer High School parking lot, grinning wildly at the sight of me climbing out of my grandfather's truck. Behind me, Flynn chuckles with amusement, before wishing me a great day.

My mouth falls open agape, gasping at the magnificent sight of my friends gathering to celebrate my birthday, which to others may merely seem like a regular Friday, the day of the postponed winter dance. Zealous girls whisper in the passing of the Cullens and myself, glancing at the balloons and the gift bag in Alice's pale hands.

"Y'all remembered?", I exclaim with excitement, letting my hands fall to my sides. Jack steps forward, raising his palms upward to offer a hug.

"How could we forget? Alice kept reminding us", Jack muses as he welcomes me into his arms. I press my chin to his chest, allowing him to press the softest of kisses to my lips. It tastes like summer rain, like dancing on the top of the rooftop and daring death to catch you in its tendrils. I melt in his arms, allowing him to pull me closer, to hold me like it is the last time he'll ever hold me. Around us, people and ghosts alike fade into the background, when I pull away from Jack to stare into his honeycomb eyes.

"I'll miss you tonight", I whisper to him, letting my hands trace the hollows of his cheeks while referring to the winter dance. While I do understand why Jack won't be attending the evening - due to the dark and small gym the dance will be hosted in - I'll still miss being able to dance with him. Never will I force him to do something that will make him uncomfortable, though. His comfort is more important than mine.

Jack presses a wry smile to the corner of my mouth, while someone behind us sighs dramatically.

"Hey, stop hogging the birthday girl", Alice calls out before flitting to our sides, pulling Jack away from me. I bite down on my bottom lip, to not reveal the giggle that threatens to escape me. The cold dainty limbs of both Alice and Renesmeé engulf me in hugs and kisses to my cheeks.

"Happy 18th birthday, honey!"

The gift bag is pressed into my hands, and I glance down at it, the usual hesitancy and excitement at the receiving of a gift pulsing through me. On Christmas Day, I received everything I had wanted, and barely a month has passed since then. I haven't seen anything I'd like since, or wanted.

"Open it!", Edward demands, chuckling once he reads my thoughts. I reach my hand into the bag, pushing aside all the tissue paper and feeling something hard and cold pressing in my fingers. I pull the item out, weighing it in my hand. I gasp once I notice what it is, and the similarities it shares with the Cullens' jewelry. The same crest that hangs from Alice's neck, that binds around Edward's wrist, is engraved in the silver bedding of the ring.

"Your family crest?", I ask while carefully taking the ring from the box, unveiling it to the rest of the family. Alice takes the bag from me, freeing my hands and allowing me to slide the jewelry across my finger.

"But I thought only coven members wear this?", I question with a raised brow. Bella snuggles into Edward's arms, but raises her voice for me to hear.

"Family members", she corrects me.

"And you're family. Maybe not for eternity, but you'll forever be."

Her words hang heavy in the air, like a guillotine hanging over my head, threatening me to make a choice. Edward grimaces at his other half's oblivious statement, because I can see the earnestness in Bella's eyes.