t h i r t y - t w o

t h i r t y - t w o

After school, I hold the pink detention slip in my hand, searching for the detention room, where I'll spend the next two hours of my life. Mrs Tomes was not impressed by my tardiness, and proceeded to ridicule me in front of my classmates. I merely continued to stare at her until she was done. Her aura was not smoothing at all, and I knew that she had other worries that led her to displacing some anger onto me. I do not blame her at all, I was wasting precious class time. Flynn said he would pick me up after school, merely sending a laughing emoji when I told  him I had detention. 

"Ophelia!"

Turning on my heel, I see Neo racing towards me, their book bag bouncing against their thigh, and their curls held back by a headband. I remember meeting them the first time, and how their buzz cut was dark against their scalp. Now, their hair curls around their ears, and a beautiful glow shines from their skin. They truly do look happy, and I wonder if they've been comfortable enough to tell their friends of their orientation in the time we haven't talked.

"Hello, Neo", I grin up at them, before I remember the last time I saw them. It was a few weeks ago, at the Cullens household. I haven't been able to talk to them since, and I know in what state I left them, wondering.

"I see you're hanging out with the Cullens again?", Neo tries to keep the subject light, but I can hear the accusation in their voice. I don't blame them, I would've questioned my friend's mental state if they were hanging out with the people who terrified them. I tuck a lock of my hair behind my ear, not knowing how to respond appropriately to keep the Cullens' secret safe.

"There...was a misunderstanding", I try to summarize the truth and chew on the thin skin of my bottom lip, anxious on his response.

"You were jumped, Ophelia", Neo raises an important point with a monotonous voice,  their expression holding nothing but suspicion.

"Trust me, I am okay. I'm not in danger, if that's what you're worried about", I ease their worries, raising my hands as if guarding off any troubles. Neo doesn't look convinced, instead, their gaze shifts to the detention slip in my hand. 

"Detention?"

Grasping the opportunity for the subject to change, I am almost relieved that I got into trouble today. 

"Mrs Tomes. I was late."

Neo cringes at the mention of our teacher's name, knowing how strict she is, and how she doesn't entertain any thoughts of tardiness in her classroom. 

"You know that if you get three strikes before the winter dance, you won't be able to attend it", Neo informs me, nearly patronizing. I remember seeing posters of the dance that's in a few weeks.

"Yeah."

A few awkward moments of silence pasts us, and Neo clears their throat as they readjust their book bag.

"Good luck, I guess. And say hello to me in the hallways, once in a while", they encourage me. I promise to do so, and we say our goodbyes, walking our own ways. I'm nearly half down the hallway when someone calls my name. It's Neo, with a wry smile and darkened eyes, calling for my attention. 

"Just, reconsider your friendship with the Cullens, especially Jack. I know that you two have got something going on, but I don't want to see you on a Dateline episode", they warn. My cheeks flush a dark red, and luckily not many people heard what Neo had to say. I swivel around, hurrying to the detention room, knowing that I'll spend the next two hours thinking about what Neo said. 

-

"So I got an email from your Art teacher today", Flynn tries to subtly hint during dinner. I chew on the chicken meat, and swallow it down with a sip of water.