t h i r t y - s i x

t h i r t y - s i x

The snow crunches beneath my boots, as I cling to Flynn's steady figure. He is used to the slippery slope that causes my feet to nearly disappear from beneath me, but I still can't get used to the snow's fluidity. The sky outside is a misty gray, and the streetlights that lead up to the isolated Cullen residence has a sinister glow to them.

"Ophelia, by this rate, we'll arrive at the front door when it's the New Year", my grandfather mumbles and grabs my elbow when I nearly slip, again. He's holding onto both me and the bag of gifts we brought along. He looks adorable with a red Christmas beanie, and although his tone is annoyed, his eyes are gleaming with joy. It's the first Christmas in years, where he'll be spending it with others. This morning, when I handed him his present, he stared at the wrapped gift as if it was something alien. When he unwrapped it and found a sweater with my face printed into it, he seemed less astonished, and more amused. Once I handed him a smaller gift, which was a framed photo that Alice took of us a few months, he sat there, quiet for a few moments as he stared at the smiling faces.

"Grandpa, uhm, thanks for taking me in", I said while handing him the gift.

"I don't know where I would've been without you, and I love you for the life you've given me these past few months."

Standing up from his armchair, he pulled me into a bone-crunching hug, planting a wet kiss to the side of my head. Even though I am missing my mom today, and I wish she was here, that small moment between Flynn and I, seemed to dull the longing a bit.

"If you let me go, old man, we'll be spending the holidays in the ER", I threaten him, equally vexed at my lack of coordination on snow. Soon, we arrive at the front door of the Cullens, much to both my and Flynn's relief. The doorway is lit by a miniature Santa Claus, who smiles up at us as he wishes us a 'Merry Christmas'.

I raise my hand to knock on the wooden front door but jump back in surprise when a small pixie pulls the door open. Alice's smile is nearly as wide as that creepy Santa doll, but she looks adorable with a Christmas beanie pulled over her hair. Her lips are painted with a dark red, which makes her face seem paler than it is.

The vampire pulls me down into an embrace, and I have to bend over to return the hug.

"Merry Christmas!", Alice sings in my ear, and she sounds so jolly, that I can't help but reply in the same sing-song tone.

"Merry Christmas, Alice."

The girl pulls away and gestures for me to enter, which I do. Behind me, I hear Alice wishing Flynn a merry Christmas. Entering the Cullen residence, I turn to my left where I know the family will be, as it's the living area. The Cullens are all lounging on their leather sofas or the carpet in front of the fireplace. When they notice me, they all look up with either a greeting or a smile. Renesmeé stands up from her spot on the carpet next to her mother, and dashes over to me at an impossible speed. She bumps into me, making me grunt before I look over my shoulder to see that Flynn is still busy talking with Alice to have noticed the small being's supernatural speed. I look back down at the fifteen-year-old, who throws her arms around my middle, to squeeze me into a hug.

"Happy holidays!", she cheers and pulls away with a massive grin, one that reaches her eyes and makes them sparkle. She takes my coat from me, complimenting me on my outfit. I decided on a black turtle neck tucked into a red plaited dress, in theme with the holidays.

"Merry Christmas to you too, sweet pea", I smile back and plant a kiss on the top of her head. She releases me from her grasp, and I can wish the rest of the family a festive season, leaving the best for last. Jack sits on the edge of the sofa next to his adoptive mother, giving me that small smirk I have grown to love. When he realizes that he's next, he stands up from his seat and walks over to me, keeping his eyes on me. In the flickering light of the warm fireplace, his irises sparkle lighter than they've ever been.