t w e n t y - t h r e e

And so as the leaves finally turn bronze in Homer, and fall to the muddy grounds, my first autumn in the small town passes by, with the filter of tranquillity covering every memory I've made here. Slowly, my bedroom walls fill with photos and Polaroids from my time here, along with art pieces Renesmee and I create during our free time, in between preparing the decor for the Hamlet play. I didn't make it through the auditions for the play, but Renesmee roped me in to help her in the decor department. The young girl likes to stare at you with those deep thought-provoking eyes that trace the crevices of your skin and seems to paint you in the Impressionist style of Van Gogh. I asked her once about the gloves she always seems to wear, but she merely flexed her fingers and muttered something about germs and diseases. That is the last time I asked her about it, knowing it must be a sensitive matter.

During my driving lessons with Isabella Marie, she never raises her voice when I make an error, something that becomes more scarce as the days go by. She cheers me on when I do something right, and corrects me on my mistakes. Even though she's only older than me by a few months, Bella reminds me of a motherly figure, the type you'd read about in fairy tales, the ones that comfort their daughters and bakes them cookies when they're upset. After I bashfully admit this comparison to her one day after school, she started to bring chocolate chip cookies to school, every Wednesday - just for me. Every time, I'm touched and stare at the dessert, before thanking her.

I don't even realize it's the beginning of October until Emmett brings up a Halloween party he's planning on hosting. Flynn took me to go see Rosalie and her partner's mechanic shop for myself, and it's pretty neat. I don't like the smell of gasoline though, as it gives me a headache, but I don't want to seem rude by just leaving.

Emmett and I have grown to know the other, and we talk a lot and make harmless jokes at the expense of his family. Rosalie does not show any emotion when she's mentioned, by I try to avoid her. She has this energy around her that makes me feel uncomfortable as if she can bend my spine with one dirty and intimidating look of hers.

"We were thinking of celebrating Halloween at our house this year, if you'd wanna come?", Emmett offers me an invitation, as he pops the hood of an unnamed car. It's unnamed to me, as I don't know what it is. It looks expensive and imported. I widen my eyes at the invitation and grab my phone out of my back pocket, clicking the unlock button to see the date broadcasted.

2 October.

Wow, what with the exams and tests, I hardly comprehend that it's been nearly 3 months since I've arrived in Homer.

"Why do you look so surprised?", Emmett asks as he pulls his hand away from the engine, lifting it to wipe off some perspiration on his forehead, that I can't see. A black oil streak stains his pale skin, and the sight is comedic.

"I didn't realize what time of the year it is", I admit with a bashful blush spreading across my cheeks.

"How are your exams going?", Rosalie asks from underneath a German car. People bring their cars in from out-of-town to have them serviced by the couple, knowing that their vehicle will be in the best condition when it leaves.

I am surprised by the question and stumble over my words to answer. Rosalie hardly ever addresses me - the times she does, I am intimidated and awkward.

"They're going great so far! I got back my Visual Art paper, as well as Algebra and Dramatic Arts. I got an A-minus for all three."

I am satisfied with those marks, especially since this school system follows a different curriculum from my last. I thought it would be hard to adjust, but it's not.