f i f t e e n

f i f t e e n

By the end of the day, the entire senior and junior class seems to be excitingly murmuring amongst each other about the upcoming party this weekend. I don't know why I decided to host it, but what's done is done. Nicky and Nicole offered their house, stating that their parents wouldn't mind.

I enter my Art classroom, where a bunch of people ambush me. For a moment, anxiety takes over, and I struggle to remain calm, but luckily the teacher shooes everyone to their seats. I sit next to Renesmee Marie, who doesn't seem to notice my presence.

"Hi, Renesmee", I greet her. She pulls at the gloves around her hand, readjusting them, before nodding. I never noticed the white gloves before, but they make her hands look dainty. The sides of the gloves are dark due to her drawing and shading.

"Hello", she nods her head my way, without looking up at me. I retrieve my notebook to continue with my draft pictures. I glance at the girl beside me, who seems enthralled with her drawing. The first 10 minutes go by slowly, with none of us speaking with the other. I think about the real-life Snow White sitting beside me, who seems to keep to herself, even amongst her family members. I remember the short glances I would give the Cullen table occasionally, and the memory of Renesmee sitting at one end of the table drawing something, comes to mind. Furthermore, I don't think many people would like to be friendly with her, as any association with the Cullen family seems to be similar to any association with me when I first arrived. People seem a bit friendlier towards me, but that could only be due to the upcoming party and this may be their way to be invited. Jokes on them, it's an open party.

"Hey," I call for Renesmee's attention. The girl reluctantly pulls her attention away from her artwork and rests her brown eyes on me. For a moment, it's as if I can see what she's seeing — a silly girl who can't seem to keep to herself and seems to be nothing but trouble. I recoil at the thought, but regain my composure, giving the small girl a big smile.

"I was wondering if you'd like to come to a party we're hosting this Saturday?"

The girl's rosy lips fall open agape, and she seems surprised by the offer. I play with the end of my braid, keeping my eyes on her.

"Are you sure you want me there, Ophelia?" she asks in a quiet voice. I purse my lips, my chest suddenly aching as I imagine that she's not invited to many parties, and she doesn't know how to respond.

"I know you're underage, but your sister and her boyfriend can come along", I start with a low voice, trying not to attract the attention of the teacher.

"I am fifteen, are you sure you want a freshman at a senior party?" Renesmee asks with the arch of her eyebrow. I will admit, I didn't know she was fifteen, but I can now see the childish roundness to her cheeks and the way her eyes are large with innocence and naivety. I wish I was still so pure, but that was snatched away from me once my...uh...ability to full form. Your soul will never be the same once you've stared death in the eyes and see what you could've had. Besides, I can see how Renesmee can take a senior Art class, her ability to draw from imagination and photographic memory can't hold pace to those of her peers. Damn, I learned how to draw a nose at the age of fifteen, and this girl seems to capture every crevice of a human hand. I am willing to bet she's light-years away in terms of maturity compared to her peers, which could also be a reason for the dichotomy between her and them. This could also be dangerous for her because even though she might be intellectually mature, she isn't emotionally and someone could take an advantage of this.

"I do", I assure her, making a promise to myself that I'll watch out for the girl the night of the party.

"I think you're much smarter than the morons that'll attend," I joke and lift the corner of my mouth into a smile. The 15-year-old returns the smile with one of her own small ones, nodding her head slowly in acceptance of my invitation.