t w e n t y - s e v e n

t w e n t y — s e v e n

My fingers clutch the steering wheel tightly as I come to a stop in the school's parking lot. A few stray stragglers walk around, and I notice that it's the period before our lunch block.

The plastic bag feels heavy on my lap, and I mentally recount the few items in it. I know Emmett won't be saying anything and seemed unbothered when I confessed to him, but the fear of what the others might think, is as large as the moon. Do I need to let them know, that I know? Is that something I am prepared to do?

"I sense some hesitation."

I jump in my seat, flinching at the overwhelming odor of decomposing flesh. With the turn of my head, I glare at the person in the passenger's seat.

"Your timing, as always, is shitty."

Steve ignored my words, instead, he nods towards the main school building.

"You've got to tell 'em that you know. This circus has gone on for too long."

I stare in disbelieving disgust at the spirit, who has been a no-show these couple of months, as I grew closer to the Cullens. Of course, I would see him now and again, leaving a sarcastic remark in response to one of my classmates' questions. He'd grin at me, upon noticing my stare, but once one of the Cullens would join me, his smile would turn sour and he'd disappear.

"You knew?", I spit out through clenched teeth. Steve rolls his eyes over to meet mine, scoffing at my question, as if it's the dumbest thing he's heard today.

"It wasn't my secret to tell, Ophelia. Besides, I tried to give you small hints, right at the beginning, remember? But you couldn't wait to ride that di-"

His words are cut off when I grab him closer by the throat, allowing his disgusting scent to engulf me, as I bring him closer to meet my snarl.

"Finish that sentence. I dare you."

Steve's stunned gaping mouth slowly turns upward into a smirk, as my fingers dig deeper into his throat, and the slimy fluid of his rotting insides soak my hand.

"Oh, Ophelia, you wouldn't be the first to rip my throat out. Enough of this childish manners, and go do it."

My fingers tighten, even though the gross slime builds up underneath my fingernails.

"How do you know what they are?", I grit out, tightening my jaw as the betrayal digs deeper into my chest. This thought surprises me, as for betrayal to be present, there would have to be trust.

Steve wheezes as I squeeze his windpipe tighter.

"How...", he pipes through a high-pitched breath. Air steams through the small crevices between my fingers as he exhales.

"How do you think I died?"

His gaze moves to the school building, before he dissipates into thin air, letting me fall forward into the seat he once occupied. I hold myself down for a second, thinking over Steve's words, before I cuss silently. He's right, of course he is. I can't think of one single time he's not been right. God, what is my life? I'm listening to dead people now.

I open the glove compartment and grab my cat-eye sunglasses. My eyes are droopy and blue bruises underneath show that I haven't been able to sleep all that well, so I'd rather hide them. The glasses were my mother's, and I wore them on the plane to Homer, to hide my mourning tears back then. Oh, how times have changed.

After I pull my worn shearling coat closer over my shoulders, I grab the plastic bag quite aggressively and bury it in my pocket. It hangs out, so I dig in my hand alongside it to keep it there. With my free hand, I swing the car door open, and slam it shut behind me, feeling the heat of my fear and boiling anger, which is mostly aimed at Steve, burn at my cheeks. It is unfair of me to be mad at him, when all he has done, is help me. I am misplacing my feelings right now, and acting out towards the wrong...entity. The people I am looking for, is probably sitting in their respective classrooms, and I am sure, awaiting my arrival. Even though I know Emmett would not have spoken out of turn, I have a strong suspicion that Alice has a few things in common with Raven Baxter from That's So Raven.