f i f t y - f o u r

f i f t y - f o u r

"Alec, what is the meaning of this?", I demand my younger companion to explain the reason I am not allowed to leave my quarters. The young boy raises his chin with defiance, although I notice a quiver of fear in his bloodred eyes. In the three years I have known him, he still aches due to my gift, as if tasting it for the first time.

"Aro has commanded you stay in your room, as we have some troublesome visitors", he informs me as he walks to the entrance of my room, stopping me from exiting. I feel my jaw fall in shock at the news of visitors, as the only people we receive into Volterra, are usually those who do not leave. The idea that we might have some company, excites me. Especially because Aro wishes me not to see them.

"Why not?", I inquire curiously as I lift a silver hand mirror that Caius had gifted me a while ago after I had completed a successful task that was given to me. I was to house the spirit of an old foe, who he had believed to hold information on the most hated species of our kind. Werewolves - who Caius had previously thought he had driven to extinction. Now, it may seem there was a recent birth of a new offspring, far back to the East.

I stare into the scarlet red irises reflecting in the mirror, taking in my appearance. I take some lipstick Aro prefers Jane and I wear whenever we go out in public. I do not know how I had looked before my rebirth, as Aro had mentioned I was a poor girl who had but little life left. Heidi found me in the slums of Italy. I did not have family nor friends who could claim me, and Aro immediately saw within me, a daughter he could cherish. I do see him as a parental figure and know that all that he does, is to keep me safe. Especially since there are those out there who would use my gift for vain and greedy reasons. He keeps me a secret of these cobblestone walls. I fear not the mortals, but the immortals who have made an enemy of my coven and would wish us harm, once they've learnt of my existence.

"If I tell you, Aro would not be pleased with me. I wish not the wrath of our master on either of us", Alec warns me, his mouth pulled into a tight line as he ponders over our creator's rage if and when he is disobeyed. We have witnessed it and had to aid in the process of destroying those of our kind who had crossed the line drawn.

"Whether you relieve my curiosity or not, my young friend, I could always ask the assistance of those you cannot see", I place the mirror down on the table once again and stand up to walk to my closet. I draw the doors open and take out one of my cloaks, with a soft lining on the inside and delicate mahogany-coloured velvet on the outside of the cloak. I throw it over my shoulders and pull the hood up, hiding the upper part of my face from the world, but allowing for my lethal teeth to be evident once you see me.

"Aro would be most displeased, Ophelia!", Alec begs of me, and I notice the dark mist slowly trailing out of his wrists. I raise my hand to stop him, wagging my finger condescendingly and raise my palm upward for him to see that I, too, can use my abilities to manipulate him.

"Take away my sight and I will take away your sanity", I threaten him, and he flinches, remembering the last time I had shown him what I can see. He had locked himself away in his chambers for a week and had not dared speak to me for a fortnight. Aro was not happy and reprimanded me quite harshly for my actions.

"Alright, you annoying girl", Alec gasps out. I smirk triumphantly, knowing I had been able to make him crack. I like it when others fear me - if they fear me, they will not harm me.

"These visitors know of your gift and wish to take you away."

I feel my frozen veins burst with shock, the sudden threat making my undead heart stutter and stall. Now I understand why Aro had not wanted me to greet the visitors - it was to keep me safe.