Chapter 16 (Archie) - "Suspicions"

As I walk across Riverdale High hallway to reach my locker, a special bell rings : someone just started to make a call through the megaphone.

"Good morning, dear students. This is your principal speaking", announces Mr. Weatherbee's voice. "They have been many inquiries about the incoming rally next week. So let me state it clearly : it is happening as scheduled."

He probably refers to Riverdale's jubilee, which takes place every year in the high school auditorium. I shake my head, disenchanted. Right, this is truly the perfect moment to throw such an event !

"Now, on a less felicitous note, please give your attention to sheriff Keller."

I raise my head and listen carefully, seeking for new informations.

"Most of you already know the details. The body of your classmate, Jason Blossom, was found late Saturday night. So since this weekend, Jason's death is now being treated as a homicide. It is an open and ongoing investigation..."

Suddenly, all this situation takes a much larger scope, all becomes even more real. Then, we hear a shrill noise through the loudspeaker : Cheryl has just taken the floor at the megaphone.

"And may I interject ? Neither I nor my parents will rest until Jason's death is avenged and his cold-hearted killer is walking along the death corridor before burning in hell !", she says in a determined voice. "I already have my suspicions. #RiverdaleStrong !"

I try to put myself in her shoes. Cheryl seemed to be close to her twin brother. I can't really imagine their relationship, because I'm an only child, but it must be horrible... this feeling of having lost her double. That is why I make the resolution to offer my condolences to Cheryl as soon as possible.

"If you know anything that could help us find Jason's killer, or anything about what happened to him on July 4th, I strongly urge you to come forward immediately. You can speak with me or Principal Weatherbee.", sheriff Keller speaks again. "A death like this wounds us all. Let's not let Jason down.", he concludes, weighing his words.

Without noticing, I continued to walk until I find myself at the end of the corridor, facing the principal's office. I take a look inside and see Cheryl, standing as a rock. Then, I cross Weatherbee's gaze, who is severely staring at me. I turn away quickly, in order to avoid raising suspicion. Unfortunately, Jughead is standing in front of me : He also witnessed the scene.

"Archie !", he exclaims, in a falsely surprised tone. "Weirdest thing... this summer, over July 4th weekend, we were supposed to go on a road trip. But you bailed on, at the last minute.", he declares, with an ounce of disappointment in his voice. "Maybe it's time to give me some explanations, don't you think ?"

He stares at me seriously, before leaving as fast as he arrived. I realize that if I don't speak out soon enough, I will sign my death warrant.

********************************

Later in the morning, during biology, the teacher let us choose our partner for the dissection of the frog. I look around, and see that Cheryl is being interrogated by several girls of the class. I take the opportunity to go talk to her.

"Cheryl, we haven't talked since this summer. I just wanted to say, I'm really sorry about your brother.", I say sitting next to her.

"Jason was the best.", she assures.

"If I can do anything to help..."

"That's sweet Archie, but unless you were at Sweetwater River and know who shot Jason, there's nothing that could help me.", she says in a little voice.

Once again, the memories of this summer come back to my face, like a slap. Miss Grundy, her old car. Sweetwater River, Fox Forest. The gun shot, the flight of birds. Cheryl, Jason. The Blossom's case. My guiltiness is starting to resurface.

"Do you know if the police have any leads ?", I ask, hesitant.

"What ? No, you ghoul !", Cheryl hisses, finding her usual disdain again. "But it's only a matter of time. And my intuition is telling me that it's someone we all know.", she notifies, with a wary look around.

"Right. Well, I'm not great at science, but I can take point on this, if it's too weird for you.", I gently propose, designating the frog spread out on the work surface.

"Why ? Oh... You mean because my brother is being dissected with a blade just like this one, possibly at this very moment ?", she says, ripping up the object from its packaging. "Don't worry, I'm fine. In fact, I'm amazing !", she blurts out.

On these works, she plants the scalpel in the animal's thorax, with such a violence that her gesture makes my stomach turn. All our classmates turn toward us, disgusted. Cheryl is surely fearless, but she is also fearsome.