Chapitre 21 (Betty) - "He's legit miserable without you"

I've been thinking all week about what happened with Archie, Veronica, and Cheryl. I realized soon that I had pushed too hard on Veronica : she was only trying to open my eyes, while I was blinded by my unrequited love for Archie. The occasion to give her an apology arrives on Friday, when we are both waiting near the lockers. I make the first move.

"You were right... about Archie.", I say, clearing my throat. "Sometimes it's hard to admit things to yourself like... 'my mother is crazy' ; 'I'm afraid I'll never see my sister again', 'the boy I like doesn't like me back'..."

Veronica sighs and slowly comes closer to me, with her arms crossed.

"He may not be crushing on you, but he does love you.", she ensures. "And if it's any consolation, he's legit miserable without you."

I look down. Does he feel our argument as badly as I do ? It breaks my heart thinking he might be at the bottom of the abyss.

"My mother says sometimes a friend is better than a boyfriend.", declares Veronica. "Maybe that's what you need."

******************************

A few hours later, I am chilling with Kevin in the students room. This place works as a meeting point for high schoolers between classes : Veronica is chatting with some of the football players, Archie is ordering something on the coffee machine, and Reggie Mantle is telling stupid jokes to his friends. We ignore this last until he makes a fool of Kevin and Moose, questioning them about the night they found Jason's body on Sweetwater River.

"Don't listen to him, Kev. Reggie's just being a jerk, as always.", I exclaim, rolling my eyes.

"I don't care what he says.", he hisses between his teeth.

"I mean, let's think about it. If a Riverdale High student killed Jason, it's not gonna be a jock, right ?"

And now, Reggie continues to share his bogus theories about Jason's murder, which seems to be the only subject of conversation these days.

"Let's be honest.", he speaks again. "It's always some spooky, scrawny, pathetic internet troll or some smug, moody, serial-killer-fanboy freak... Like Jughead."

I turn towards the student in question, that I didn't notice when I entered the room earlier. Let's face it : with his grey beanie and his torn clothes, Jughead Jones has always been considered as the loner boy at Riverdale High. But that is no reason for Reggie to bully him.

"What was it like, Suicide Squad ?", he provokes Jughead. "When you shot Jason ?"

All eyes are on Jughead, who seems to have curled unto himself, with his head down. But to our great surprise, the loser dares to oppose the high school king.

"What about you, Reggie ? What was it like... when you realized people were friends with you only for your money ?", he exclaims, sarcastic.

The student room is suddenly hushed. Everyone holds its breath, waiting for Reggie's reaction. This one leaps up to his feet, ready to fight back.

"You little piece of ─", he screams, pouncing on Jughead.

"Hey, shut the hell up, Reggie !"

I straighten to have a better view. Archie's just come to rescue Jughead, nearly missing Reggie's fist, which finally falls against the glass of the coffee machine.

"What do you care, Andrews ?", barks the big dark-haired boy, rising up to his full height.

"Nothing, just leave him alone.", responds Archie.

I often forget that before high school, Jughead was also Archie's best friend. They met through their fathers, who were probably working together at some point. When Archie wasn't hanging out with me, he was mostly spending his time with Jughead. Anyway, the two friends seem to have drifted apart since freshman year : I think they simply took different paths, unlike me and Archie, who never let go of each other... until now.

I can't help but feel proud, seeing Archie defending his former best friend like that. At the opposite, Reggie is far from sharing the same thoughts : he conveys hate, getting dangerously close to Archie and Jughead. Suddenly, he bursts into a mean laugh.

"Holy crap... you too are partners in crime ?", he sneers pointing at them.

On these words, Archie pushes him away a little, and this is when things get out of hand. In a second, Reggie rushes at my best friend, and throws him on the floor like a sledgehammer. I immediately stand up, and everyone walks toward the boys. Right before people separate them, Reggie manages to land a final punch right in Archie's head, who lies for a few seconds on the ground, inert. I don't know if my eyes will one day be able to erase the horrific scene that they just witnessed.