Chapter 20 (Archie) - "We're too young"

A little before 7 p.m, I go to Pop's to pick up our dinner. Since my parents split up, my father and I are used to ordering ready-made food when he comes home late from the construction. The bell rings as I pass the door, and at the second I enter the Chock lit shoppe, I see Veronica, who is talking to her older replica - probably her mother. We salute each other hesitantly, both really embarrassed. The last time we were together, Betty ran away, and that was because... we had kissed two days earlier.

"I'm picking up an order for Andrews.", I say to Hermione Lodge, whose name written on her badge confirms her relationship to Veronica.

"Oh, you're Fred's son !", she exclaims, giving me our food packet. "As handsome as your father was..."

Before I can understand the meaning of these words, Veronica interrupts us.

"I'll see you at home, mom !"

"Wait mija, I'm sure Archie would happily escort you."

Hermione Lodge smiles at me so kindly that I don't dare to refuse. At least, I hope Veronica doesn't live at the other end of the town...

***************************

"So uh, is Betty still mad at you ?", begins the brunette, while we walk along an empty street.

"We're back to no texting...", I reply, feeling a little down. "What about you ?"

"I'm back to being the shallow toxic rich bitch who ruins everything in her path.", she declares in the same tone. "And that's a pity, because even though I only just met Betty, it really felt like we were meant to be best friends... Like it was our destiny !"

I nod at her, in understanding. I too have always thought that Betty and I were meant to spend our life together, as if our meeting had been predicted one way or another.

"And now...", Veronica adds, with a melancholic voice. "It's like there was this train that was heading to the rest of my life, and I just missed it."

Clearly, Veronica has just expressed what I feel. I'm really scared of having ruined all my chances of reconciliation with Betty. All those years of friendship have been reduced into ashes in a few days... I still don't know how we ended up here.

"Betty and I have been next-door neighbors since we were 4.", I tell Veronica. "We've always gone to the same school, been in the same class."

A smile appears on my face, as I remember our first days of kindergarten, our daily tutorial sessions, or our after-school snacks. Those were the good old days.

"I remember in the 2nd grade, I was having trouble reading, and my teacher, Mrs. Gribrock, told my parents that I should stay back a year to get caught up.", I continue, trying to restitute all the details of the story. "Betty was so against us not being in the same grade, that she took it upon herself to tutor me every single day."

"In the 2nd grade !", repeats Veronica, impressed.

"Yeah.", I confirm, smiling up to my ears. "Anyway, when I passed, thanks to Betty, I kissed her, and I asked her to marry me ! She was like : "Oh little Archie, we're too young ! Ask me when we're 18, and I'll say YES.", I declare, with a mix of hope and gratitude in my voice.

"Wow.", whistles the brunette.

I look down, letting nostalgia take me away. I think a part of me still believes in this innocent childhood promise, and maybe I hope that one day, the opportunity to keep it will actually arise. But for now, it's far from won.

"I hate that I hurt her.", I confess, lost in my thoughts.

"Give her time, Archie. That's all you can do.", advises Veronica. "And don't despair. I don't think your story with Betty is over."

Her words stay in my mind until we arrive at her huge apartment, and I allow myself to daydream for the rest of the way home. 

*******************************

When I finally reach my house, I see Jughead, who is sitting under the porch, with a more serious face than usual.

"Jug ? What's up ?", I ask, worrying.

"What's up is I saw you, Archie...", he replies, standing up. "In the music room, with Miss Grundy."

Instinctively, my self-defense pushes me to silence Jughead. If people hear us, it would endanger all my secrets.

"Keep your voice down !", I interrupt him, with a new authoritarian voice. "My dad's inside.", I inform, pointing a finger towards my house.

"I'm trying to help you, dude", he retorts. "I'm trying to be your friend here, even though we're not anymore... How long, you and Grundy ?, he asks, with more calm.

"2 months.", I finally confess. "I think I like her.", I add, avoiding Jughead's horrified gaze.

This one lets out a sigh, turning away, as if he couldn't look at me in the face.

"So I'm guessing she's the reason you've been acting weird since summer ?"

"One of them."

"What, there's more ?", he exclaims, bewildered.

I realise I have no other choice than to tell my friend the truth. I owe him that much, after all I put him through.

"We were at Sweetwater River, on July 4th. We heard a gunshot. THE gunshot.", I say, weighing my words.

"Dude... You have to tell somebody !", responds Jughead, panicking.

"I can't ! Neither can you.", I shut him down, taking a step closer. "If people find out about Grundy..."

"A kid is dead, Archie !", he cuts me. "And you're worried about some... some cougar !"

"Don't call her that !", I cry, upset. "She's not like that, okay ? She cares about me."

"Stab in the dark, I'm guessing she cares more about herself !"

I should have known that no one, and even less Jughead, would understand my illicit affair with the music teacher...

"Besides, she's the one who is telling you not to say anything, right ?", says the one I considered to be my friend.

Maybe he has a point, but I know I can't betray Geraldine. She made me promise to protect her and... a promise can't be broken.

"Look, I saw you guys.", continues Jughead, in a serious tone. "She's shady, and she's messing with your mind."

"What the hell do you know about it, Jughead ?", I attack, pushing him away. "Or about me, even ?"

A wave of sadness crosses Jughead's eyes. The young man shrugs his shoulders.

"Nothing.", he admits. "But I used to know this guy, Archie Andrews. He wasn't perfect, but at least, he always tried to do the right thing."

I don't succeed in analysing this speech. Is it a compliment or an insult ? Before I can think about it, Jughead begins to walk away. The little voice in my head tells me to hold him back.

"Wait !", I call, grabbing his arm. "If you tell anyone about this..."

"What ? What are you gonna do ?", he challenges me.

I don't know what to answer. Am I really threatening my ex-best friend to kill him ? Really, what's wrong with me ? Yet, the tension doesn't subside, and the blood is still running through my veins, until I hear the clattering of the door, announcing my dad's arrival.

"Hey, Jug ! You coming in ? We got burgers from Pop's.", he warmly proposes, ignoring all about our argument.

"No need, he was just leaving.", I reply, glaring furiously at the beanie boy.

I only manage to relax when this one is out of my sight.