Chapter 7 (Betty) - "Nice outfits !"

While Veronica and I walk along the football field, I can't help thinking about this morning. Honestly, I hardly believe it...

The cheerleading tryouts have just ended, and like I'd predicted, Cheryl wanted to fail me again... On that matter, our super choreography didn't change anything. When Cheryl has someone in her line of fire, she won't let them go... Today, she really pushed me over the edge by telling all those lies about Polly and Jason. I still feel my nails digging in my palms, as I clenched my fists to keep control on my emotions...

But that was without counting on Veronica Lodge... She was really extraordinary ! When Cheryl invited Veronica to join the Vixens without me, this one immediately defended me : she set Cheryl straight, with this repartee which only belongs to her. Cheryl was forced to accept us both in the team. And here we are now : 2 River Vixens in brand-new uniforms !

This morning, I discovered a whole new Veronica, that I would never have suspected the existence. I think what I like about her is that she is all I ever wanted to be : audacious, strong, self-confident... But because of her reputation, I'm still wary of her. After a moment of hesitation, I finally decide to question Veronica.

"Hum... why did you take my defense earlier ?", I ask, carefully. "I know the kind of friends you had in New York. So why are you so ... nice ?"

She takes a deep breath.

"When my father got arrested, it was the worst day of my life. Everything fell apart.", she says sadly. "People wrote horrible stuff about my family... We received letters and emails saying daddy was a thief, mom was a brainless socialite, and me, a freezing rich bitch."

I look at her with compassion.

"Yeah. But what hurt me the most was that everything those trolls wrote was true. I was like Cheryl, even worse.", she adds. "When my mother told me we were leaving for Riverdale, I took the oath to take it as an opportunity, and to become, hopefully, a better version of myself."

Definitely, Veronica is impressive. She went through atrocities and made some mistakes, but she still manages to get up. I'm really affected by her story, and I never thought that kind of hard blow could change someone that much. This is the proof that we must always see beyond appearances !

"You must have been under pressure.", I answer, sincerely.

She glares at me with gratitude, and I realize it's my turn to tell her about my family's story.

"When Polly and Jason got together, she thought it would be forever... whereas she was just a distraction for him.", I say, rolling my eyes. "And then... things got intense and weird and toxic... and my mom picked on Polly. She said that she wasn't worthy to be her daughter and other things really awful...", I add. "Jason hurt Polly. But it's my mom who destroyed her."

Veronica doesn't respond anything, she just observes me, compassionate. I look down. Sometimes, silence is better than words, like in this moment. It feels good to speak about my familial issues with someone who understands me.

"Archie !", Veronica suddenly screams.

I immediately look up to see my best friend, who runs towards us wearing his football outfit, red hair floating in the wind. My heart is racing.

"Ready ?", asks Veronica.

"What ?", I say in confusion.

"It's time to fight your demons, Betty Cooper !", she replies cheerfully. "Hey there... teen outlander !", she salutes Archie, as he reaches us.

I would love to have her sureness ! For my part, I can't get a single word in front of him... What a canteen !

"Hey, nice outfits !", Archie compliments us.