Chapter 25 (Betty) - "Breaking rules" (Part 2)

Monday, 2 p.m. :

With all the sensational articles that my parents published about the Blossom Affair, I am beginning to wonder if their work is more about entertainment rather than information. So I decided to commit myself into real journalism, by taking over the editorial board of the high school newspaper. As I don't have class until 3 p.m., I chose to do some storage in the Blue and Gold office. As I try to turn on an old computer, a voice pulls me out of my thoughts : it's Jughead (Archie's friend), who is standing in the doorway, with his arms crossed. I asked him to join me during lunch break, so that he can help me out.

"If print journalism is dead, what am I doing here ?", he exclaims, intrigued.

"The Blue and Gold isn't dead, Jughead. It's just dormant...", I say, wiping off a trace of mud on the table. "But we're gonna wake it up !"

The young man doesn't respond, and only examines one by one each old-fashioned object present on the shelves. His detachment is a bit disruptive. I try to engage in conversation.

"You're writing a novel, right ? About Jason Blossom's murder ?"

"Indeed.", replies Jughead, looking up to me. "I am going to become Riverdale's very own Truman Capote."

"Well, I'm hoping you'll come write for the Blue and Gold !", I declare, with a big smile.

"Uh I don't think the school paper is the right fit for my voice...", he objects.

I sigh, looking for a way to convince him. I see that he is on his guard, but it would be a pity to refuse an occasion to share his opinions. Besides, he is also interested in Jason Blossom's story, and I have a feeling that he could be useful to solve this mysterious affair.

"Jason's death changed Riverdale.", I notice. "People don't wanna admit that, but it's true, we all feel it. Nothing this bad was ever supposed to happen here, but it did.", I add, taking a step closer. "I wanna know why."

"Would I get complete freedom ?", questions Jughead, a little less on the defensive.

"I'll help and edit and suggest... but it'll be your story and your voice.", I ensure.

He frowns and thinks about it for a few seconds, before showing a little smirk.

"Doesn't sound like complete freedom, but I'm in.", he finally gives in.

"Great !", I cry out, clapping hands, excited.

Well, that's a good start. Now, we can begin the investigation.

"In that case, I have your first assignment." I speak again, in a serious tone. "There's at least one person who was at the river on July 4th that no one's talking about..."

"Dilton Doiley and his scouts.", Jughead guesses, nodding.

He has read my thoughts. We exchange a knowing smile. Now, I am sure that we will make a good team, him and I. 

Tuesday, 8 a.m. :

While we alleviate our bags by putting some books in our lockers, I get the impression that everyone is glaring at us. Then, a group of unknown bitches call us out.

"Hey Veronica ! Everything went well with Chuck last night ?", they shout, before walking away, laughing out loud.

"That is none of your business.", replies the one concerned. "How do they know that I had a date yesterday ?"

Kevin and I turn towards the brunette, shrugging our shoulders. If those girls didn't mention it, I would have almost forgotten that Veronica had a date with Chuck Clayton - the captain of the football team, aka the high school heartbreaker. I didn't even bother asking her how it went, because I am almost sure that this jerk got what he wanted.