Chapter 18 (Archie) - "Is it real ?"

-"Betty !"

I desperately call my best friend, watching her walk away, helpless. The moment I decide to run after her, I am stopped by Mr. Weatherbee's imperious voice, which resonates in my back. The timing could not have been worse.

-"Mr. Andrews ! May we have a word in private ?", he urges me.

I follow him grudgingly, after one last glance at the blonde. The headmaster guides me towards the high school entrance, to discuss a little more out of sight.

-"You're in a really good place right now, Mr. Andrews. You play varsity football, take part to AP music tutorials...", he begins with a forced smile. "And yet, this morning in the hallway, you wouldn't meet my eyes.", he adds, suspiciously. "Why ?"

-"I was distracted, I wasn't feeling well.", I stammer, a little nervous.

Mr. Weatherbee seems to notice my dismay. What a great idea to have given in to curiosity this morning... I've surely betrayed myself !

-"Archie, if there's something you want to get out of your chest, perhaps about Jason, now would be the time.", he says with a serious tone.

He stares heavily at me behind his round glasses, and words get stuck in my throat. Fortunately, a student comes to save my day, requiring Weatherbee's assistance.

-"We're not done yet, Mr. Andrews.", exclaims the headmaster, before leaving me alone.

As soon as he is out of range, I sneak inside the highschool to reach the music room. I hastily open the door, and as expected, Miss Grundy is here rehearsing.

-"Weatherbee just asked me if I knew anything about Jason." I announce, freaking out.

-"And what did you say ?", she questions, worried.

-"Nothing. That I didn't.", I assure. "But he said if I did, I shouldn't be scared and he'd make sure to protect me." I add, distraught.

-"Of course he would, you're his student, Archie."

She tries to reassure me with a smile, but this doesn't erase my confusion. Now that Mr. Weatherbee offered me his help, i don't know who to trust anymore.

-"Geraldine, I need to know... How you feel about me... Is it real ?" I ask, concerned. "Because if it's not, then I don't know what I'm protecting."

-"It is...", she whispers, eyes in the dark.

With a sigh, she raises her head and her green pupils meet mine.

-"It is real. Maybe it's not right, but it's real.", she continues, in a lower voice.

I feel Geraldine's hand getting closer, looking dangerously for mine.

-"Which is why you can't tell Weatherbee."

When I lift up my head, her jerking breath falls on my lips : our proximity is staggering.

-"Because if you do that... we will never see each other again.", she says, slowly caressing my fingers. "I'm putting my future in your hands, Archie."