Chapter 3 (Betty) - "Endgame"

So, it is finally the big day : the start of the new school year. Joy and excitement invaded my mind all night, and I might have not slept a lot. I'm officially a sophomore ! Another step into my highschool career...

While I put my school supplies in my bag, my mother comes to give me her usual little speech, like every back-to-school mornings. Some things never change...

"Betty, the next school year is crucial for your studies.", she begins. "Assiduity is really important : extracurricular activities, sport, being flawless in all circumstances... It is extremely important. They're watching, you know.", she adds, with a serious face.

She repeats me the same words every single year, so that I retain the lesson : always do what the others are expecting me to do. In case you haven't understood yet, my parents are really involved in my scholarship. I know that some teenagers would like to have such parents, who care about their future. But for me, it is quite stifling...

"Mom, I'm not a child anymore.", I remind her, giggling.

"But you already have accomplished so much ! I don't want you to take the risk to lose it all.", she confesses, worried. "Look at your poor sister... She was a rising star until she let that Blossom boy destroy her.", my mother adds, the voice full with hate.

That's it, she has to bring my older sister up again : my mother always has this habit of comparing us. Polly left the house at the beginning of the holidays, just before I went to my summer camp. I haven't seen her since. My parents told me that she was sick and they had to send her to a safer place, a convalescent home. They are convinced that Polly's ex-boyfriend, Jason Blossom, was giving her a bad influence. If I say ex, it is not because Jason and Polly broke up, it's because Jason was reported missing this summer.

"Mom, I'm not Polly.", I reply coldly.

"You weren't home on time, yesterday.", she attacks.

"I was only 7 minutes late, and I was with Archie ! I know he has red hair, but he has nothing to do with Jason Blossom.", I say boldly.

"Sweetheart, all the boys are like Jason Blossom.", she answers quietly, taking my hands, forcing me to face her up. "I love you so much, Elizabeth."

As I hear my full name, I can't help smiling : even if she bothers me most of the time with her exaggerated reprimands, she is still my mother and she's worried about me.

"Keep your head on straight, okay ?", she advises, while I nodd. "And stay... focused.", she says, as she slips a medicine box in my hand. "I bought your pills for blood pressure. You forgot to pick them up.", she says, sarcastic, before leaving my room.

My smile fades away, as I look at the orange cylinder box on which my name is written in bold : "Elizabeth Cooper". Of course I didn't pick them up : I was hoping this year, my mother would stop drugging me with medicine...

*********************************************

At 8 o'clock, in the high school hallway, I find Veronica Lodge, the new girl that I met yesterday at Pop's, in order to show her the establishment around. Every year, I volunteer to welcome the new students, because I like to work to give them a good image of my high school.

"Generally, I prefer to put things back in their historical context.", I explain to Veronica, in a pedagogue tone, as we enter the main corridor. "Riverdale High opened its doors in 1941, and..."

"And it has never been renovated since, it's obvious.", she completes, ironically. "I feel like I'm wandering through the lost episode of Our Town.", she adds, frowning.