Friends. Only.

Melo stares me up and down and the tension is nothing less than thick.

Brian looks over to me slightly confused, but steps forward in front of me.

A pissing match, great.

"Can I help the two of you?" Ashley says snapping me out of my gaze.

No one says a word.

This is Brian's first real encounter with Melo since homecoming night and nerves begin to build in my stomach.

"Hello!" Ashley says literally snapping at the two of us. Something that clearly is a button for Brian.

"Bitch is anybody talking to you?" He says catching me and Melo off guard.

Woah.

"Bitch?!" Melo spits out.

"Yeah Bitch. You too-"

Brian's comments get cut short by Melo shoving him back into the wall.

As Brian bounces back forward, I jump in the middle and hold him back.

"Y'all stop!" I whisper yell. "If someone comes down this hallway we're all fucked! And do you honestly need anything more on your plate right now?!" I say looking directly into Melo's eyes, referencing the media frenzy his entire family is under currently.

Ashley chuckles, "Not my man about to beat up yours and now you want to jump in the middle. Stay in your la-"

"If you think Brian calling you a 'bitch' was enough to send your man up a wall, imagine what would happen if I got into it with you." I say staring
directly into her eyes.

"Know your place." I finish as a warning.

Brian grabs my hand with his and whispers "Let's go" into my ear. An action that is clearly a button for Melo.

"Woah what?" He says confused.

I look back at him as Brian and I head up the steps. Ashley still standing there completely confused.

As Brian and I head up the staircase I hear a whispered but very argumentative conversation. "Why do you care about what they do so much? You're not gay. Who gives a fuck about those two assholes holding hands?" I hear Ashley say.

Before Melo could respond, Brian and I were back on the main hallway.

"Bitch?" I ask lightly chuckling.

"I-" He says with a grin spreading across his face. "I would literally never disrespect a woman. Ever. I'm not even like that. But that girl presses a button in my soul." He says now completely engulfed in laughter.

I look over into Brian's brown eyes and I smile.

"Whatchu cheesing about?" He asks.

"Nothinnnn" I reply laughing.

"Mhm. Alright here's your next period." He says as we finish walking. "I'll catch you later."

"Okay." I nod as he leaves.

Fuck.

Melo has my stuff.

—-
During class, after a slight mini panic attack, I text Jordan.

To: Jordan.
Joooo! Jordannn! Joeyyyy! Stingrayyyy!

Jordan.
Nigga what the fuck do you want? You literally ditched me after hide and seek. And when did you start being so nice to me all of a sudden?

Me.
I- anyways sir, can you do me a favor?

Jordan.
No.