not by choice

5.

LISA POV

Monday went by easier than Sunday; it was less busy. I went to Daily Mass then did the after-Mass refreshment, which was helping make and serve tea, coffee and biscuits for the congregation.

From midday onwards, I was pretty much free, so I asked Dad if I could go out for the day. He agreed because he said I had taken well to the new change and wasn't refusing. I was tempted to tell him it was only because he had threatened to chuck me out if I didn't, but refrained.

I took the opportunity to see Mina. I knew Tuesday would be busier and I probably wouldn't get to see her. I took her out for lunch then we went to the movies. She was still interested in the whole nun thing, so I gave her a play by play of my interaction with them; she concluded that it wasn't as interesting as she first thought.

In the evening, we went out for drinks with our friends. I tried not to drink too much since I hadn't been careful enough before and managed to come home only a little buzzed before collapsing in bed.

Morning came, and I was lucky enough to have had the foresight not to drink. Every day was an early start now, and waking up with a hangover wouldn't be ideal for sitting in service.

After lunch, I was with the Sisters again. When I made my way over to the convent I was met by Mother Superior. I smiled politely at her.

"Hello, Mother Superior."

"Hello Lisa, it's lovely to see you again. How have you been adjusting to your new routine?"

"Yeah, it's been fine. It's been good to see some familiar faces again and also just help out."

"It's good to hear that you're keeping out of trouble."

Well, I didn't say that but whatever she wants to believe. I bit back a snide comment and nodded.

"We just finished eating lunch. Have you eaten yourself?" She asked.

"Yes, I ate before I came."

"That's good, from now up until three o'clock we do what we call quiet time, which is when each Sister takes some time to reflect by herself by reading, studying or praying."

"Uh well, how do I fit into that?"

"Don't worry, I'm not making you do silent study for two hours. Instead, I have something else in mind for you. You already met Sister Jennie on Sunday, right?"

I struggled to recall at first, but then remembered quite quickly, I had only interacted with a few of the Sisters, and I remember Jennie was the one who didn't really seem to want to talk to me.

"Yeah, I did."

"Well, you're going to be spending the next two hours with her."

"Doing what?"

"Just getting to know each other. Jennie has been with us a very long time and is around your age, so I figure that she may be able to help you more than I."

"O-kay."

Honestly, I figured I'd just be praying or talking about the Bible with them or something, now I was finding out that I had to befriend one of them.

Mother Superior called for Jennie. As she approached, I noticed she looked down again until she reached us. When she did lift her head for me to see her face, I couldn't tell if she was reluctant to be here or if this was just how she always looked.

"Hi, Sister Jennie, it's good to see you again."

"You too, Lisa." She nodded, face still cold. I was now wishing it had been Sister Rosie instead.