promises

6.

JENNIE POV

I found myself waiting for Thursday and excited to see Lisa. She was kind, and I wouldn't tell her but funny too. I had never met a homosexual before, but she was nice and right now she was the most interesting part of my week. So, when Thursday did come, I was happy to see the weather was nice enough for us to sit in the garden again.

After lunch, she came by and I led her to the garden. I still wasn't great at initiating conversation, so I waited for her to do so.

"How have you been Jennie?"

"I've been okay."

"I was meaning to ask you, I know you have a structured day, but you have a good section of free time right?"

"That's right."

"So, what do you do then?"

"I nap or read or talk to the other sisters mostly."

"Do you ever leave the convent?"

Her question made me feel a little embarrassed. I had always been completely fine with spending my time here, but for some reason, when she asked me I wanted to give a different answer.

"Not really. I mean I have before, but I don't really need to."

"But you're allowed to, right?"

"Yes."

"So then why don't you?"

"And do what?"

"Anything, there are lots of things you can do."

"Like grocery shopping?"

"Well yes... but other things too."

"Sister Rosie told me about her life before, things like restaurants and movies."

"Exactly, why don't you do things like that?"

"I'm not really interested."

"How do you know if you've never tried it?"

"I guess I don't really, but I'm used to my routine."

"Your routine includes free time, that doesn't have to be the same every day."

"So, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying, instead of getting to know each other in this garden, let me take you somewhere."

"I don't know Lisa..."

"If you don't like it that much, I'll bring you back, Jennie."

I pondered for a moment. I was kind of anxious about leaving after so long, especially with someone like Lisa instead of the other Sisters, but I still wanted to go.

"Okay. Let me just ask Mother Superior."

"I thought you said that you're allowed."

"I am. I should check with her still though. I think she'll be glad for me to do things like this when I can. When I take my permanent vows, I'll only be allowed to leave for certain things and only with my Sisters."

"All the more reason to come with me now."

Lisa followed behind me to Irene's office. When I knocked on the door she waited outside.

"What is it, Jennie? Where's Lisa?"

"She's just outside. She was asking me to leave the convent with her and go out for a bit and I just wanted to check if that's okay with you. Of course, if it isn't I'll tell her no-"