final

24.

LISA POV

This was it. Now or never. Hiding behind some bushes, I watched as Mother Superior left the convent and headed towards the Church. I waited until she was out of sight, just in case she decided to turn around and ended up seeing me.

Last night, Sister Rosie had said to meet her at the back entrance again, just to be on the safe side. I was willing to be on the safe side for everything; I couldn't afford for anything to go wrong.

She was waiting for me, just as she had been the night before.

"How long will she be gone for?" Sister Rosie asked me whilst we both headed in the convent and up to the room Jennie had been locked in.

"My dad said he would keep her with him for as long as he could."

"Let's do this quickly then. We don't know how much time we have."

"Do you have the key?"

"Yes, it's here." She took it out of her pocket and handed it to me.

"Thank you."

"You get Jennie. I'll go to her office and get the suitcase." I nodded and she left.

For reasons I couldn't exactly be sure of, my fingers were trembling as they pushed the key through the hole. I was on edge, of course, but there was a small voice in the back of my mind that kept questioning whether Jennie would change her mind. I hoped it would fade out once we were away from here. She was walking away from her entire life; I couldn't just play off how big of a deal that was.

Taking a deep breath, I turned the key and pushed the door open. Jennie was sat up on the bed, watching the door like a hawk to see who had come. When she saw it was me, she exhaled a deep breath that she must have been holding.

"You're here?" She whispered, unsure of whether her eyes were deceiving her.

"I'm here, Jen," I reassured her.

Almost stumbling, she leapt off the bed and ran towards me. I met her halfway and caught her in my arms. She was shaking like a leaf and then I realised she was sobbing quietly into my chest.

"It's gonna be okay, Jennie," I kissed her head and rubbed her back. I wasn't sure exactly why she was crying. It probably would have been for an overwhelming number of reasons, so telling her it would be okay seemed the right thing to say. Because it would be okay. I would make sure it would.

"I'm scared, Lisa," she gasps and it almost breaks my heart.

"I'm right here with you. We're getting out of here."

She sniffs and lifts her face up, not before wiping her tears on me. She's looking up at me with wide, innocent eyes and my drive to give her the life she deserves somehow increases.

"We have to go, Jennie," I tell her gently.

She nods, "I know," and separates herself from my arms, first making sure to grab hold of my hand. "My suitcase--" she says.

"Sister Rosie's getting it."

"Where is she?" By the sound of her voice, I know she's not asking me where Rosie is.

"She's not here, don't worry about her."

"If she catches us--"

"She won't," I cut her off.

"But if she does, Lisa," she insists, "I won't ask you to leave this time. Just don't let go of my hand."

"I won't," I promise her sincerely.