they know not what they do

11.

LISA POV

When Thursday came, I was in two minds about whether or not to go to the convent. In the end, I chose to skip out on it, staying in bed instead.

I had known Jennie for only one month and we were fast friends, but if she didn't accept me, which I didn't see her doing, then I had no business in staying friends with her. And any relationship we would have would be strictly obligatory since I had to at least see this out until the end of the month, then dad would revisit the calendar.

Truthfully, I didn't blame her for the views she had. It was learnt behaviour and she grew up in a convent, for God's sake. If I wasn't gay myself, I hate to think it but I probably would have turned out the same way.

Being surrounded by not only religious people, but religious people whose entire lifestyle coaligned with their religion, it's hard to break away from the teachings.

I could only imagine how much that would have been amplified by being surrounded by nuns most of your life and rarely interacting with people outside.

Maybe I shouldn't give up on Jennie just yet. She is a good person, she's not beyond unlearning what she's been taught and accepting people for who they are.

That's why on Sunday, I decided I would go to the convent and help her see my point of view more, rather than getting annoyed at her.

Except, I was met by Mother Superior once again, and disappointment followed.

"Hello Lisa, Jennie isn't feeling very well today, so you can spend time with another Sister if you want, or come back on Tuesday."

Sister Rosie came to mind, but I didn't feel like being here without Jennie or befriending another nun whilst she was mad at me, so I made the decision to leave.

Mother Superior didn't seem any different whilst talking with me, but I couldn't be sure if she would act differently if Jennie had told her. However, if Jennie had told her, Mother Superior definitely would have told my dad, and he would make it very clear to me if he knew.

So, I think it was safe to say that Jennie hadn't told anyone.

Returning on Tuesday, I was met by the same situation. I got the message. Jennie wasn't interested in seeing me or trying to resolve our friendship, that's why on Thursday I didn't even bother.

On Friday, I was met with some surprising news by my Dad.

"You did it! You made it through the whole month, and I've been noticing a real change in you. That's why I'm going to let you drop three of the things that were previously scheduled for you. Don't think this means you can go back to doing as you like, if you want to keep your freedom, you keep this good behaviour up."

"Can I go out during the week now?"

"Yes. I know there's a possibility that you may be hiding it, but you've not been staying out lately, I'd like to hope that means you're not drinking anymore."

He was right, and surprisingly, his whole plan had worked. Through it, I had met Jennie, and she was the reason I stopped partying and going out so much. I was still a raging homosexual, but if he wasn't asking then I wouldn't tell.

Well, not just yet.

"So, which three do you want to drop? I know you weren't keen about spending time with the Sisters at first, but Mother Superior mentioned you were getting along with someone there. So, it's fine if you want to keep doing that and also fine if you want to drop it."

Looks like I had a decision to make. Two weeks ago, I would have answered without even thinking, but now I wasn't so sure.

Were Jennie and I even friends anymore?