come as you are

23.

LISA POV

I had assured Jennie I would get her out of there, but I couldn't deny that I was nervous. It was crucial everything went according to plan.

When Jennie hadn't turned up in the garden that night, I waited for around an hour before deciding to leave and return tomorrow to find out what had gone wrong. Naturally, the worst came to mind, being that Jennie had changed her mind and didn't want to run away with me anymore. But even if that was the case, I still would have made a chance to talk to her about it.

The rational side of my brain told me that something had gone wrong. Jennie seemed sure when I had offered her the chance to run with me, there was probably little that would have changed her mind.

It turns out I didn't even need to sneak into the convent to find out the truth, for the next morning when I headed there, Sister Rosie found me herself.

"Sister Rosie, what happened?"

"Mother Superior." Of course. "Sister Jennie was coming to you. She had a suitcase packed and everything. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but a few minutes after Jennie had left the room, I heard screaming. I couldn't make out most of it, aside from her screaming your name and telling Mother Superior to let her go."

"She forced her to stay." I gritted my teeth. "She can't get away with this." Dead set on confronting Mother Superior right that second, I almost sprinted towards the convent. A hand grabbed my arm before I could take two steps.

"Lisa, she's locked Jennie in a room and won't let her leave. Not even for food; she's taking her meals there."

"So, I'll break her out." I tried to pull my arm, but she pulled it back again.

"It's not that simple. You'll only make things worse for Jennie."

This was the last thing I wanted, so I relaxed and decided to hear her out. "So, what do we do?"

"Wait until tonight. I'll find a way to get that key, and I'll let you into the convent to sneak up and see Jennie."

"And I'll break her out then?"

"It's too risky," she shook her head. "We need to get Mother Superior out of the convent. It'll be safest for you both to escape then."

"Okay." I nodded. "I can handle that part."

"We'll do it tomorrow, after lunch. I'll steal the key from her before she leaves. Once she's out of the convent, you come for Jennie. Her suitcase is in Mother Superior's office, so you'll need to grab that before you go."

"Okay, what time shall I come tonight?"

"At midnight, meet me at the back entrance. I'll let you in. Talk to Jennie, but don't tell her the plan. She's locked in that room with nothing to do. She'll torture herself thinking about all the things that could go wrong."

"You're right." I nodded. "I have to go sort out my part of the plan now. I'll see you tonight."

I left Rosie and went back home with a plan in mind. It was a long shot considering our last talk, but I had to try.

"Dad?" I knocked on his office door.

"Come in," he said, and I did.

"I need a favour, dad. It's a big one." He looked up from his desk and took his reading glasses off.

"What is it, Lisa?"

"Jennie," I said simply.

"I've told you to forget that girl, Lisa. Let her live her life and you go on with yours."