fire on fire

16.

LISA POV

I seemed to have lost the ability to move as I sat glued to the bench watching helplessly as Jennie pretty much ran away from me. Figuring I should give her some space, when the ability to move again came back to me, I decided not to chase after her. I wasn't worried about her getting home; we came to this park regularly and it was only a ten-minute walk from the Church.

When the sky was getting a little darker I made my way back home, after an hour of replaying the kiss in my head. My intentions had been to just head straight home and to my room, I found that my feet had other ideas, and before I could process the fact that this may not be such a good idea, I was already in front of the convent entrance.

Heading straight upstairs, I found myself blocked by someone.

"Lisa, it's nice to see you. What are you doing here?"

"It's nice to see you too, Mother Superior. I just came to see Jennie."

"It's getting late. You can come back tomorrow to see her."

"I just want to talk to her for a second."

"You've been with her all day. You can wait until tomorrow." She folded her arms and I knew there was no way she was going to budge, and, deciding it better not to argue with the head nun, I just nodded.

For a second I wondered if she knew about the kiss, but brushed the thought off. I'm pretty sure if she knew about that, she would do a lot more than fold her arms. Something about the way she was speaking though, gave me the impression that she didn't like me all that much.

Although, now that I think about it, I remember Jennie telling me about how Mother Superior had a word with her because she was coming back later than she was supposed to. In other words, I was bringing Jennie back later than I was supposed to, and as a result, she had missed a fair few evening prayers. Not to mention how I've been taking her out almost every day, so the daily schedule she used to follow had pretty much gone down the drain, along with most of her nun duties, although she wasn't officially a nun yet.

Respectfully saying my goodbyes to Mother Superior, I left the convent and walked back home. Without much of an appetite, I decided to just head straight for bed.

All I could do was hope that Jennie didn't get in her own head about this. Although I knew she needed time to think, I didn't want her to overthink to the point where she would never want to see me again. At least now I knew she felt something for me too, otherwise, she wouldn't have kissed me back.

I couldn't imagine how confused she must have felt right now, along with having no one to talk to about it. It might have been selfish, but I hoped that no matter how much she wanted to, she wouldn't talk to anyone else before talking to me. Having experienced Jennie's thoughts on the matter first-hand, I could only imagine what the reaction of the other women in the convent would be. At this point, they would probably only serve to confuse her more and turn her away from all the progress I've made with her. I had to speak to her first. I could only hope she wanted to speak to me by the time I got there.

It was still too early to sleep. I found that I didn't know what to do with myself and ended up keeping myself distracted for short periods of time before thinking about Jennie again. When night did come, I tossed and turned for hours. I'm not even sure if I did get any sleep. At first light, I decided to go see Jennie. I remembered her schedule and knew she woke early.

Taking a quick shower to refresh and wash away any restlessness, I was out of the door by 06:20 and inside the convent by 06:30. The door was open, as usual, it was quiet though and I assumed they were all still doing their morning prayer.