Chapter 7

*******

Chapter Seven:

Dealing With Werewolves

*******

Godric and Hedwig didn't get along too well.

Eventually they just agreed to disagree. Hedwig would hoot and peck at him if he got too close and he'd hiss and spit venom at her if she got too close. Harry was impressed by Hedwig's grace and agility. She dodged every shot until Harry explained to Godric in no uncertain terms that if he spit venom at Hedwig again, someone was going to get a homemade snakeskin belt for Christmas.

Godric tried to eat Pigwidgeon, but Ron had a fit and sent Godric flying with a well-placed spell. After that, no one had to tell him to leave Pig alone. He figured that out all by himself. He also watched Ron very carefully.

Strangely, Godric never once messed with Crookshanks. Conversely, Crookshanks left him alone as well. They seemed to have an agreement to ignore the other. Harry wondered why, but Godric never told him. However, the fact that Crookshanks let Godric be was something of a comfort to Harry, given Crookshanks's reaction to Scabbers. Godric also seemed to like Hermione. He'd follow her around and nip at her ankles to make her scream. Harry tried not to laugh at this and often failed.

Except for Draco and Contessa, everyone usually kept far away from Godric. Lupin would stiffen every time he saw him slithering about or dangling off Harry's shoulders. Hermione and Ron seemed positively terrified of him and after Ginny's experience with the Basilisk, she was less than warm to Godric. Draco seemed to find him fascinating and kept trying to grab him, but Godric neatly dodged all Draco's attempts at capture. He didn't trust Draco farther than he could throw him--and Godric had no arms. What Draco apparently didn't realize was that Godric kept asking if Harry was sure Draco wasn't for eating. It caused no end to Harry's amusement every time Godric asked. Contessa only silently watched Harry and Godric very intently with those cold gray eyes of hers.

The next few days after Harry's birthday party were relatively peaceful. Contessa had begun brewing up large quantities of the Wolfsbane Potion for Lupin, since it was the week before the full moon. Mrs. Weasley had tried to collect the children, but since Harry, Ron, and Hermione had all agreed to research potions for Sirius and doubted they could do much research at the Burrow, they forwent leaving. Mrs. Weasley did take Ginny for a couple days, promising her they would go shopping and have "girl time". Ginny had never looked more miserable and murderous than when she left.

Hermione and Ron were back on Harry's side. It made him feel intensely better when Hermione turned her formidable researching skills onto finding an alternate potion and alternate ways to rescue Sirius's soul. Maybe they would find a way to do it the "right" way. Harry had a feeling if he did it the "wrong" way, things worse than Sirius's death would happen to him.

Having Ron and Hermione back on his side made Harry feel loads better. He felt almost normal, armed with the knowledge that there was a possibility that Sirius could be brought back. And having his friends support him made everything seem like they were back at Hogwarts, trying to research something important. Sirius wouldn't be there, of course, but he was waiting. Waiting for Harry to save him.

Harry tried not to think too much about how his "saving people thing" had lead to Sirius's death. Except at night, when he couldn't avoid it.