Chapter 17

*******

Chapter Seventeen:

Draco's Confession

*******

Draco's seventeenth birthday had come and gone rather unnoticed. Draco's face inevitably fell on November the Twentieth. Slytherin had just lost a game to Hufflepuff, and none of his housemates were very thrilled with him at the moment. There was no fanfare this year. He only received a few things Contessa had managed to get him, a small book from Tracey Davis, and a couple letters--presumably from his parents. Other than Contessa, nobody seemed to notice it was his birthday except for Harry--and he and Draco weren't exactly on speaking terms.

Two days later was a bright Saturday, surprisingly sunny despite the snow. Harry decided to escape from watching Ron and Hermione sneaking kisses between turning pages in books by going outside. So he grabbed his immense pile of homework and trudged outside. It was another wintry November day, and Harry buttoned up a coat he "inherited" from Dudley and marched outside for some fresh air. It was very cold and wet, but Harry felt refreshed.

Harry walked to his favorite tree and found a girl there, sitting sublimely under it. Harry paused and realized it was Tracey Davis, the mousy Slytherin girl that Lupin seemed to like. She opened her eyes and peered at Harry, her face taking on a worried expression. She jumped up immediately.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize anyone else would come out here when it was so cold," she demurred, backing away from him.

"Wait. You can stay. It's not like I own it or anything and I have it under good authority this tree's big enough for exactly four teenagers," Harry smiled.

"That's okay, I'll go back inside and warm up," she said quietly, trying to slip off.

"I'm Harry Potter, by the way," Harry said, taking a step towards her. He was admittedly curious. He'd never met a Slytherin like her before, so meek and mild.

Tracey blinked at him. "I know. I'm Tracey Davis," she said in a soft voice. She was the plainest, most ordinary girl Harry had ever seen, with limp brown hair and common features, but there was something rather intense to her unremarkable eyes.

"Well, Tracey, now that we've introduced ourselves properly, we could both sit under here if you like. I don't bite, contrary to what the Daily Prophet might be saying about me now," Harry said.

"They make you out like some sort of saint, now," Tracey said, staring at him cautiously.

"Well, I suppose it's better than being a half-crazed idiot. Neither is true, of course, but it's an improvement," Harry said, sitting down and spreading out his books.

Tracey stared at him in fascination and sat down. Harry noted the book she reading. It was a Catholic Bible.

"I didn't realize Remus--er, Professor Lupin--was Catholic."

Tracey blinked in confusion. "I have no idea whether he is or isn't," she shrugged.

"Oh, well, he speaks highly of you. I thought that might be why," Harry said, nodding at her Bible.

Tracey looked at it again and then looked at him rather shrewdly. "Professor Lupin and I get along so well because he was the only teacher in this school who truly, honestly cared about the students and wasn't afraid to show it. He was the only teacher I ever had who noticed me," she said.

"He's a great guy," Harry said simply. "He and my dad were mates at school."

Tracey looked curious. "Really? He was a Gryffindor? I could have sworn he was a Ravenclaw, or maybe even a Hufflepuff," she asked.