Dusk till Dawn

The evening was perfect, the remnant rays of the mighty sun giving the golden effect on every beings and structures that is under its light. Imagine, you are sitting at the park at the right time, everything will be golden and how beautiful will the images be, if you were an avid photographer, this will be one of the most chased after moment. Do not blink, I dare you. That is how fast the sunset rays change its tone. That seconds were precious.

Aurora was sitting on her patio, having her glass of wine with jazzy music as her background. Work has been tiring as hell, running a corporation in the morning till late, having a wife twice as successful as her and three beautiful kids to come home to, that completed her. No complaints. It is exceedingly rare of her to come home this early, while Claire was still in her center, held up in a discussion with her employees.

She had been snapping photos with her vintage camera, one among her many favorites. She left the empty glass, and her fingers never left the camera; her eyes focus on the subjects. With her hair in the usual messy bun, she continued snapping beautiful images. She was a woman with many passions, and photography was one. Aurora kept checking on the images and every time, a smile was carved out from her kissable lips. And as the sun disappeared from the sky, she walked back to the patio and poured herself another round of wine. How she missed her days in Venice. She rested her chin on the palm of her hand and rested her eyes. The kids were in the living room, having their television time with the nannies. Aurora took a deep breathe when she saw an image of a certain someone on her camera screen. That one person that she did not want to take his surname when they got married.
Aurora was lost in her thoughts when Claire walked in and back hugged her. Gently kissing her on her neck. Aurora smiled as her eyes flickered open.

“Babe.” Claire’s voice sounded concern. “What’s on your beautiful mind?”

Aurora looked on and smiled as she readily poured Claire a glass of wine.

“Just missing Venice.” Aurora lied. “How’s your day?”

“Crazy.” Claire moved her chair closer to Aurora. “I had to attend an international convention about surrogate pregnancy. You know how some countries still find surrogating wrong in human norms.”

They had their exceptionally long conversation. Healthy conversation that they both enjoyed. Intelligence is sexy, don’t you think. They were laughing and sometimes caught staring at each other. Claire was her sweetheart, they had too many histories. Bittersweet ones, but what was different, she had never really left Aurora. They were lovers and it stayed. When Aurora got married to Jonghyun, Claire was pursuing her studies. She was a resident doctor back then. Claire was close to heart broken when she found out that her gorgeous sweetheart was getting married.

Conversations over glasses of wine, always lead them till the late hours. The kids were already in bed. The night was silent, beautifully silent. Claire and Aurora walked hand in hand in the long walkways leading to the kids’ room. They peeped their heads into the eldest room, to see Adam already sound asleep. Covered in the most expensive duvet. Their kids sleep in luxuries, but not pampered.

“He’ll be a heartbreaker.” Claire whispered to Aurora who was leaning on her shoulder.

Aurora hit her on the arm and said, “I want him to be whoever he wants to be.”

They walked their way to Celia’s and soon after to the youngest. And walked back to their room. Aurora headed to the huge bathroom. She needed the warm shower, while Claire opened the sliding door overlooking the scenic view of the beautiful mountain, a full moon was shining bright above, illuminating enough lights to the night.

She for once was lost in her thoughts, her work had been devastatingly tired. She had her fair share of arguments and disagreements. Though she did not have datelines to catch but the countless of papers and conferences she had to face and attend, almost made her think whether this is the right time for her to take a back seat and let her staff handled everything. She was lucky enough to be married to a woman like Aurora, who understood her dreams, who stood by her despite everything.