- Chapter 11 -

Maya's P.O.V

 My cheeks flushed red every moment I thought about last night. As long as my heart belonged to Jamie, I knew I would never be able to escape this feeling. These things ran through my mind on the way back to Maradova, I sat next to Lottie by the window. Ellie was watching a movie with her and I was just looking out to the snowy skies of Maradova. Soft white particles falling from the sky, it calmed me for some reason. I glanced over to Jamie, sitting my himself and head buried in a brown leather book. I exhaled in a focused tone, pointing my head in the direction of Jamie even more than I was before. The seat-belt signal beeped, telling us to put our seat-belts on and startling me enough to almost jump up from my seat. I buckled it after gaining direction and so did Ellie and Lottie, we were 2 minutes away from the Maravish airport. 

"Please prepare for landing,"

I held my breath. I hated landings, they made my ears feel stuffed. Before I knew it, we were on the grounds of Maradova. The four of us grabbed our luggage and made our way down the jet, the chilling cold air greeted me. I buttoned up my pastel yellow cardigan, Jeez does winter ever give this place a break? We sat in the limousine that would take us back to the palace.

"Are you going to return back to Valdania seeing as we got Jamie back?" Ellie asked, cocking her head to the side to show her curiosity. Wow, I haven't even thought about that yet. 

"Maybe, I'll think about it."

In all honesty, I didn't want to leave at all. Back in my home country, I was alone, I had no one to talk to except for my stupid brother who was a royal pain. It's much better here, I wasn't isolated by my parents and I actually had friends! Jamie gave me a side look, I returned it with a gasp of breath. 

"Wait Jamie, you're wearing the ring!" Lottie cried out, taking his hand. 

I looked too. The golden ring wrapped around his finger, bringing out the colour of his skin. I never thought he'd even look at it. "Yeah, where did you get it?" he asked shrilly, turning his head towards my gaze.

"Lottie gave it to me for you,"

Lottie cleared her throat "Well, it was from your mother, they were going to give it to you when they told you about...you know. But now that you know, it gives you the right to have it."

I was puzzled but hid it inside myself. I knew Jamie was the actual heir to the throne of Maradova but I never knew what happened before I came. I kept quiet, feeling the urge to fidget with my ring but --- once again--- reminded myself it wasn't there anymore. The car stopped in front of the palace. 

 Walking in felt like entering a winter wonderland, snow-tinted roof tops and rose bushes with the same powder nestled above it. 

I waved goodbye to Ellie and Lottie as they walked to their room. I wanted a moment alone with Jamie before unpacking my bags. "Hey Jamie-" I started quietly, right after Lottie and Ellie went the other direction. 

"I need to go unpack," he cut me off, walking away towards his room. Was he avoiding me? Not to mention, this morning I tried to talk to him at least 3 times but he either walked away or told me he needed to do something. Was this really on purpose?

 I watched him unlock the door to his room, stepping in with his black suitcase at hand. I took a deep exhale, opening the door to my own room. I threw myself onto the white couch and. snuggled with the blue pillow, gazing at the view from outside the 5 p.m. snow-covered balcony.

 I let myself ease for a split moment, before unzipping my suitcase and putting all my clothes and items back where they belong. I hated unpacking, I don't really remember where I put my things.

 Accepting the boringness of this, I grabbed my phone, connected it to AirPods and started listening to the playlist to 'Sour' by Olivia Rodrigo. I love all her songs, they calmed me and let me forget the rest of the world. Next thing I knew, I was twirling around the floors of my bedroom to 'Traitor' while hanging my clothes back in the closet. Honestly, I couldn't tell if it was instinct or just living-the-moment. I let the music fill my heart, everything from the past week leaving my memory as I spun across the floor. 

 My true self was finally showing. Maya Ashwick wasn't just an independent, secretive, stubborn princess --- she was also just a normal girl with the love of music. Not princess; a girl. I needed to see myself that way, out of all my responsibilities, duties and constantly being my brother's beck-and-call. I wasn't Maya, I was May --- and May was ordinary.

A knock on the door snapped me out of my paradise, I took off my AirPods and placed them on my bedside table. 

"Coming!" 

The door revealed two friendly faces; Ellie and Lottie. "Time for dinner," Lottie reminded me, I looked at my phone. 6:00 p.m. 

"Oh yeah, let's go."

I shut the door and walked across the hall with them. "What happened with Jamie last night?" Ellie asked inquisitively. The question took me to full shock, was I to tell her? Gasping for air, I pretended to play dumb "What do you mean?"

"You know, the song was directed to Jamie, you guys disappeared after you sang it for like 20 minutes and now Jamie's acting all...Partizan towards you,"

 A panicked expression took over my face. Since when did Ellie start picking up such small details? Both her and Lottie looked at me, concerned but curious. I waved my hand in the air to show no trouble "I'll tell you later,"

No I wasn't.

As we were about to enter the banquet hall, I saw Jamie come stand next to us, he was probably going inside too. I smiled at him but he completely ignored me, what was his problem? My head spun, I couldn't take how cold he was being to me. I mean, we kissed last night and now he's avoiding the conversation, did it mean nothing to him?

What are you hiding Jamie Volk?

~~~

~~~

That was chapter 11! Yes, the real me is obsessed with Olivia Rodrigo's songs.

 Thank you so much for all the support from my last announcement in Chapter 10. You guys mean the utmost world to me and I cannot thank you enough. We made it to over 500 reads on THIS VERY BOOK! You guys are just amazing.

 At first I wasn't sure about the plot and idea of this particular type of writing but WOW! You guys seem to actually enjoy it! WOOOOOO! 

 Not to seem cringy, but I gave up on my dreams of becoming an author a few years ago. My writing was awful, trust me, I read some of it during the last few days. Then, I started finding the motivation in the past few months, if it weren't for all of you I'd still be completely lost. I cannot express how grateful I am for every single one of you. <3