- Chapter 12 -

Lottie's P.O.V

I was curious to what happened with Jamie and May last night. He was acting...well..strange. Maya clearly wanted to talk to him but he's just been avoiding her all day. She had a guilty look in her eyes, probably thought she was in the wrong. I opened the door to the dining room, revealing a white marble table and plates of food stacked above it. Ellie, Maya and I sat next to each other, ready to have the final meal of the day while Jamie sat at the other end of the table. 

I took some salad from the table. Perks of being vegetarian, I get to pick my own menu! Ellie was a meat-lover so most of the food was made of it, meaning the whole table was filled with steak. She and I both noticed the harsh tension between the two of our friends, we kept exchanging eye-contact of who was going to ask. It had been about 10 minutes until Ellie broke. 

 "Jamie, what happened between you and Maya last night?" Ellie asked, swallowing down a piece of steak and slamming the table to she she wanted an immediate answer. Jamie shrugged, completely shooting down the question. Sweat started building up on Maya's forehead, whatever happened must've caused a huge impact on her. 

Ellie slammed the table again, her dark hair covering her eyes "You can't just ignore the question. What happened?"

"Ellie, I don't want to talk about it."

Maya tensed, eating her spoonful of soup. At this point, I just wanted to sort out this mess and return things back to the way they were in Rosewood. Whether I liked it or not, Leviathan was still out there and they knew Jamie was brought back to us. Shuddering, the ghost of Haru's  breezy scent filled my nose, strictly reminding me how it was so refreshing but haunting at the same time. They were coming for us; for Jamie, and we had to do anything to stop that from happening. We needed to defeat Claude and all his horrid plans.

"Jamie, you are going to talk about it whether you like it or not. Have you seen May? She's been trying to speak with you all day and you're just ignoring her."

 My gaze followed to Jamie, then Maya, then Ellie again. I felt like a child in the middle of a parental argument, like I had no right to say anything at all. Jamie looked at Ellie in a threatening way to intimidate her: it didn't work. Just by looking at her, I could tell this situation made Maya feel incredibly uncomfortable. "Jamie I'm not going to stop asking! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!"

He dropped his fork hard on the table, as if slamming it like Ellie did a minute before, then walked away from all of us, closing the door behind him. I gave a blunt look at Ellie while Maya looked at the door, worried. 

"Ellie!"

"He hurt May, I wasn't going to let him get away with that."

Maya pulled herself up from her seat, pacing towards the door, probably to go after Jamie. Ellie swallowed down another piece of steak, this time too big for her own mouth. I gave her another look of disappointment, she shrugged "What?"

"Look at what's happening!"

"They better solve it, quick too."

I smacked my hand into my face, Ellie was being absurd. Jamie obviously wasn't feeling like he needed emotional support, he didn't need to talk to anyone. After all, his life was already written down on paper for him.

'I was just trying to protect you, Lottie.'

The Wolfsons' were like his demons, controlling his life, making him sign his life over their family before even letting him know about his own. Maya, Ellie, the rest of our friends and I were the closest thing to a family to him. We were his family. He needed to clear his mind, accept the fact Claude was nothing but trouble and how he wasn't alone. 

"Ellie, what if it doesn't work out? He'll return to Leviathan, May will leave, I'll be drowning in sorrow and you'll be too busy locked up in your room stress eating."

"WOAH! Calm down!" Ellie squeezed my arm with her pale hand "You're way over your head! That will never happen --- besides the stress eating --- I don't think-"

A small laugh escaped my lips, I could always count on her to make me giggle. She was like a sister to me, the one person who would always look out for me. After everything that happened before she announced her role, I didn't really want to talk about it, I'm just trying to make things the same as they were before. "Thank you," I whispered, wiping a tear away from my cheek.

"Of course,"

I looked out the window and went into deep thought. A terrified expression plastering over my face, it couldn't happen. Jamie couldn't go back.

But all we could do was hope.

~

~

600 reads! OMG wow. you guys are incredible! thank you for everything, you guys mean the utmost world to me <3