Ch2: The Audition

Friday had come in a blur. Melody looked at the dress her mom had given her. It was a rainbow skater dress with stars on it. Melody was deep in thought on the way to the audition. 

'Everything is fine. Everything will be fine. Nothing bad will happen. Nothing completely catastrophic will happen. The stage won't burst into flames as soon as you step on it.' The world won't collapse in on itself if you open your mouth.'   

Finn snapped her out of her thoughts by shaking her arm, looking at her with a happy look.

"I can't wait to hear you sing!! you're going to blow them away" he said

Melody gave him a small smile, before turning back to the window. a few minutes later, they had made it to town and to a nearby theater where the talent scout was. He looked very big and slobbish, despite wearing a fancy suit. Many other girls waited in line. Some of them had big fancy dresses, while others were caked in makeup.  Some of the girls were doing warm-ups, while others were singing their scales...they didn't sound very good.

Finn cringed. "Melody, you sound better than all of these girls."

Melody wasn't paying attention to the girls voices, she was more occupied about how they looked. 'These girls look so beautiful...and I look so...me...' she thought, looking at the buckets of makeup and sparkling outfits.

"NEXT!" A male voice cried. Melody nervously walked to the stage, hearing the whispers of the of the other girls behind her back 

"She looks so plain." "What a tacky dress" "No Makeup? No thank you." "I bet she can't even sing very well."

Melody tried to block them out, but their voices were so overwhelming. She let out a sigh of relief as she made it to the stage...only to be face to face with the talent scout.

"Name?" he asked "Melody Winstin." she replied "Age?" "16" "And what will you be singing?" "Open up my heart?" the last response sounded more like a question than an answer. "OK. Let's here what you've got" he said. Melody walked up to the microphone, her heart pounding and her hands shaking. Melody opened her mouth...and ran to the door outside.

"MELODY!!" Finn cried, running after her. Outside, Melody put herself against the wall and slowly fell down, tucking her head into her knees, tears leaking from her eyes. "Melody!!! are you alright?!" Finn asked. "I couldn't do it. I don't know why we even came here. This was a mistake..." she cried. "Let's just go home..." Finn hugged his sister as she went to change her clothes. Putting on a grey sweater and some black leggings, she and Finn went into town to find their parents.

"Hey Melody, I'm getting hungry." Finn whined, his stomach growling. Melody smiled "Well, let's get something to eat then." Stopping by a nearby Japanese food shop, they got to Karaage donburi bowls. Melody saved her's though, she didn't feel like eating anything. After Finn finished eating, the two of them set off again. when Finn spotted something hopping down the street. It looked to be a white chick, with no legs and nubby wings. Finn ran after and Melody ran after him. "FINN!!! COME BACK!!" Finn ran after the little chick and turned into an alley. Melody finally caught up to him and saw that he had stopped. "FINN!!! WHY DID...You..." her words trailed off when she saw what Finn was looking at.

In front of them was a very old, if not beautiful Theater that read "Wonderworld"