Chapter 3: Sinclair

__

"It's not that I'm surprised, I was just expecting something different."

__

The Blues Kitchen hadn't changed in decades. It was one of my personal favorite places in the whole city, and a place that I visited often. If was more of a happening place in the evenings, since they almost always had a hired musician to play at night. However, it was just as delightful during the day, and I always felt at ease there.

I walked in the door at promptly 12:28 PM (which was my version of being right on time) and took the two person table that I usually sat at, sitting in the chair facing the door. I always preferred a table or booth with a window seat so I could glance at the people passing by. The Blues Kitchen wasn't exactly in downtown London, but there was always a large amount of traffic of pedestrians around.

Even as comfortable as I was here, I couldn't seem to get the slight shaking in my hands to cease. It had been a long time since I had been on a date, and it had been even longer since I had been on a FIRST date. I was afraid that maybe I had lost any charm I might've had, or maybe I had been out of the dating game for too long to jump back in. However, I remembered the promise that I made to Audrey and how I had that said I'd give Sinclair a fair chance.

I did seem to notice one little issue with this whole "blind date" thing. I hadn't the slightest idea as to what Sinclair looked like. For all I knew, Sinclair could've already been there waiting for me. I began to take a gander around the small cafe, peering around at the other diners. I looked for a man sitting alone, possibly someone who looked like the kind of person that Audrey would be friends with.

There was a mother battling her two twin toddlers to sit down in their chairs, there was an elderly couple on a lunch date, and a teenage girl doodling in her sketchpad. While the restaurant was fairly crowded, there wasn't any sign of who I was looking for. I was afraid that he'd practically have to come up to me himself.

That's when I felt the gentlest tap on my shoulder.

"Are you looking for me?" A gentle, sincere voice sounded out with the slightest hint of amusement in his tone.

My heart skipped a beat, yet I followed the voice, turning my head to where my eyes met the man standing in front of me.

And then my heart completely stopped.

He was a tall and slender guy, with beautifully fluffy hair and the brightest smile I had ever seen. I could have sworn that the room got lighter the moment I saw this man.

And this man had just taken my breath away.

"Are you Sinclair?" I asked, much more confidently than I thought I would've.

I didn't think it was possible, but his smile shined even more radiantly at the simple question. A loose tuft of his medium blonde hair moved with his head as he nodded.

"To most people. You must be [Y/N]." He replied, the warmth of his hand spreading to mine as he shook it firmly, yet carefully.

Out of pure habit, Sinclair brought my hand to his lips, pressing a polite kiss to the back of my hand. It sent a rush of tingly thrill through my body, my cheeks heating up at the gesture.

I had an involuntary smile on my face. A natural, beaming smile that hadn't appeared on my features in quite some time. I didn't even notice it, although the trembling in my hands had slowed. If only I could get a handle on my racing heartbeat. Sinclair took the chair across from me, a small sigh escaping his chest when he sat down.

In the literal 30 seconds that I had known Sinclair, he had this calming effect on me that was so refreshing. It was like all of my nerves had dissipated away in an instant. That was new, and something I knew to unpack later.