Chapter 24: The City of Love

__

A/N: This chapter switches back and forth between POVs a bit. Just be sure to look for page breaks! Also, please let me know if there are any formatting issues on your end, Wattpad loves to mess up my formatting and sometimes double the same paragraph.

Getting to know you question: What's your favorite drink? 

"Of course, darling. I was thinking the same thing."

__

As I mentioned, traveling to France had always been on my bucket list. To be completely honest, France wasn't even that far of a trip for me. It definitely wasn't a day trip sort of destination, but it really wasn't too much hassle for me to get there. When I talked to Mum about going, she was ecstatic that Sinclair and I had decided to go in her and Dad's place. Mum had told me that she had been disappointed about missing out on it due to Dad's unforeseen bowling tournament, but she was relieved that Sinclair and I were taking the trip instead. 

Sinclair was beaming with thrill that we were going on a trip together. While we still weren't totally sold on what we were going to do, there was still a sense of jubilation for what we could possibly do. It felt so surreal that we were going on a trip like this after only a few months of dating. It was the strangest thing, though, because I felt as if I had been with Sinclair for a lifetime. It had always been a dream of mine to go to France with someone I cared about...with someone who my heart longed for. It wasn't that I didn't want it to be Sinclair. That wasn't it at all. It was just that I had always pictured seeing France for the first time with someone who wasn't Sinclair. 

I knew that I had made a lot of progress with moving on from Travis. Sinclair had been a huge part of that moving on process. Since meeting Sinclair, I hadn't thought about Travis nearly as much as I used to. But even with this, there were still parts of my life that were in a chokehold from Travis' hand. I hadn't told anyone this, but ever since the incident with Sinclair and Natalie at the diner...I'll admit that I had found myself thinking more than once about what would happen if I had been in his shoes. 

Seeing Natalie had been a moment of closure for Sinclair. Maybe it was the moment of closure. Seeing Natalie again had finalized Sinclair's efforts to move on from their marriage. It had opened the door to a new future, and it was an open doorway that he had taken with grace and optimism. 

But I couldn't help but think that I wouldn't have reacted the same way.

I tried not to think about it. I tried not to imagine what would happen if I suddenly saw Travis after all this time. If I were to lay eyes on him, I wasn't sure how I'd react. I had been so heartbroken over him for so long, there wasn't any way to know how seeing him would affect me. I hadn't mentioned how I felt to anyone. Not even Audrey or Jade. I didn't want to put it out into the open how I was feeling about it, because I didn't really even know how I felt.

But I was trying not to think about it. I had other things on my mind, and there was no sense in worrying over Travis if I wasn't going to see him. I wanted to focus on this vacation. I wanted to put my energy into getting inspired for my new book so that I could meet my deadline by the time fall came around. 

But most importantly, I wanted to focus on Sinclair.

This was going to be good for the both of us. It was going to be nice to get away from home for a little while. A change of scenery never hurt anyone. Sinclair seemed to be a bit of an anxious traveler, because he had not stopped talking the entire time that we were en route. It wasn't a terribly long flight, but since I was sitting next to a ball of jitters, it felt like an eternity.

"Do you think it's busy this time of year?" Sinclair questioned.

"Maybe. It's summertime, so I wouldn't doubt it." I smiled at him, who was nearly vibrating with excitement.