Chapter 17: Sinclair's Office

__

A/N: This chapter is another somewhat filler chapter. Stick with me, friends!

"What's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

__

When I envisioned Sinclair as a stock analyst, I had a pretty specific image in mind. I imagined him sitting in a tiny cubicle office amongst a sea of other cubicles, slouched over his desk and doing...whatever stock analysts do. Before you judge me for being completely oblivious, allow me to remind you that I'm a writer. I do letters, not numbers. So, yeah, I didn't ACTUALLY know what a stock analyst was or the environment of that profession. I expected the building he worked in to be small and boring, which was NOT the case. 

I was sure that the address that Sinclair had given me was wrong. The lobby of the building was GORGEOUS, so I thought that there was no way that I was in the right place. Thankfully, there was a receptionist who was kind enough to direct me in the direction of Sinclair's office, which led me on my journey to the tenth floor. With the bag of food still in my hand, I exited the lift to see that there weren't any cubicles at all. There was a large room that was set up as a conference room, and it seemed that the offices were all private rooms rather than cubicles. 

I didn't have the SLIGHTEST idea which office was Sinclair's, as I didn't feel as if playing Russian Roulette until I found the right one was in my best interest. I stuck out like a sore thumb in this place, and it was VERY obvious that my profession did not lie anywhere near this place. There were people bustling all around, rushing to get their work done and get it done well. I thought that surely I could ask someone which office was Sinclair's, but my saving grace actually came to ME instead.

"Well, look who it is!" The voice clamored.

My head snapped in the direction of the noise, and I was a little stunned that someone who wasn't Sinclair knew who I was here. It made sense, though, when I saw David Callahan, Sinclair's best friend that I met at the gala a few weeks prior.

"Hi, David!" I greeted, feeling a bit more at ease to have someone that I knew.

David flashed his trained grin, one that had "business" written all over it. His suit was perfectly pressed, and he didn't have a hair out of place.

"What in the world brings you here?" David asked genuinely, but quickly identified my intentions when he saw the to-go bag in my hands, "Oh, a lunch date I see?"

I felt my cheeks grow warm at his words. I still wasn't used to other people acknowledging our relationship yet. While Sinclair and I had agreed to keep our relationship status private for the beginning, I didn't mind David knowing. If I was allowed to tell my best friends everything, then Sinclair had the right to tell his.

"I just thought that it'd be a nice change for once. I knew Sinclair was busy this week, so I thought I could steal him away for an hour or so." I told David, who didn't seem bothered in the slightest that I had showed up unannounced.

"Of course. It's a splendid idea. Trust me, we're always happy to see a new face around here," David stated, comfortably shoving his hands into the pockets of his pants, "You have impeccable timing too. Sinclair just got out of his second meeting of the day."

"Oh, perfect! Speaking of...where is his office?" I questioned, hoping that my wild goose chase was over.

David's grin returned, and he nodded kindly. David and Sinclair were very similar in a lot of ways, and I could tell that Sinclair kept good company.

"Follow me and I'll take you there. This floor is a bit crowded compared to the other ones." David said, beginning to walk towards the other side of the floor.