Chapter 15: Trial and Error

__

"You have impeccable timing, you know that?"

__

Sinclair stayed over at my apartment that night. I didn't see much sense in sending him home so late into the evening, and I definitely felt that it would be rude after we had literally just had sex. I didn't sleep much that night (contrary to Sinclair, who was lights out the moment his head hit the pillow). I stared at the ceiling, my head swarming with thoughts. I was beyond happy that it had happened. Things had finally taken the right turn, and the direction we were headed looked hopeful.

I think my hopefulness was a bit off-putting. I had NO reservations for this relationship. The concerns from before were gone, and I was completely optimistic as far as I could tell. If our relationship really was established as going steady, then I owed him my optimism at least. I did wake up first from my few hours of sleep, and I had almost forgotten that Sinclair was snoozing next to me. He was stretched out on his stomach, his arms shoved underneath the pillow with tufts of his blonde hair fallen across his face. 

He was a sound sleeper, and he definitely looked like he was getting some well deserved rest. I quietly folded the covers off of me, my bare legs being exposed to the cold air as I swung them over the side of the bed. I had changed the night before into an old t-shirt and shorts before going to bed, and I didn't really see much need to get dressed for the day. It was Sunday after all, so I knew neither of us had any real plans (Although, I did make a note that the new week started tomorrow, and I needed to call my publisher for a possible extension).

I made way out of the bedroom, stepping around the discarded clothes from the night before. I padded out into the living room, leaving Sinclair to sleep for as long as he wanted. The flat was quiet, and the morning sun casted a comforting glow over my home. It was still fairly early, around 8:00 or so. I wasn't exactly sure what to do. It had been so long since I had been encountered with a "morning after" that I was at a loss.

In hindsight, Sinclair wasn't really a "morning after" guy. We were in this for real now, so if anything, this was just a normal morning after my boyfriend and I just so happened to have sex the night before. 

The kitchen tiles were cold under my feet as I approached the stove, rummaging through my cabinets for a kettle. My movements felt like they were on auto-pilot as I moved around the kitchen. I was thinking about last night, and how it had practically snowballed into the present. I knew that Audrey and Jade were going to flip. I knew that Mum and Dad would be more than happy to hear that Sinclair would be sticking around. I knew this was a big moment, because everyone within my immediate circle was waiting for the moment that I decided to jump back into dating. 

And I'll even admit that I was excited.

Just as I set the kettle on the stove, I felt a warmth snake around my waist. I felt a rush through my head as I felt the familiar frame pressed up against me, a bundle of sunshine and blonde hair that I knew to be Sinclair. His t-shirt was soft and his chest was warm. He pressed his lips to the nape of my neck, goosebumps scattering across my skin.

"Hi, darling." He spoke, his voice groggy and deep.

"Hey." I leaned my head back against his shoulder.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, kissing the shell of my ear.

"I'm great. You?" I returned.

"I'm good too," He replied, "I really enjoyed last night."

Another shudder vibrated down my back, all the memories from last night flashing over me in an instant. The gala, the dancing, the touching, the sex. It was surreal now that he was here again.