• Chapter 4 •

I was taken out of the tent and brought before the general's solid black carriage. There was a Corpralki holding the door open, waiting for me to get in. When I hesistated, he looked at me and rolled his eyes.

"Get in." He said rudely

"I don't think I want to." I replied, somehow finding the strength to make my voice unwaivering.

I could tell he was irritated but I honestly didn't care and I kept standing where I was.

"You heard me. Let's go. Get in." He used one tone the entire time he spoke and I knew I'd annoyed him.

The men who held my arms pushed me forward, but I stood my ground, "No."

The Corpralki man stared at me like his gaze was going to make me move.

"There's been a mistake. I need to find Mal." I tried pleading with the man even though I knew it probably wouldn't do any good.

When his reply came, it finally sank in that there was no escaping this.

"The general does not make mistakes. His orders were to get you to Little Palace immediately. Now get in the coach." He walked towards me as he spoke like he would make me if I didn't get in willingly.

"Everyone makes mistakes. Look at me. Do I look important to you?" I had to try everything I could to prevent stepping foot in that carriage.

"You look like trouble. Which is nearly the same." His furrowed brow made him look more menacing than when I'd first seen him.

He then moved to where he was directly in front of me and there was no way for me to run unless I stepped to the side. "Move."

"Wait. Malyen Oretsev. He's in the medic tent. I need to speak to him. I'm going to speak to him." I made one step before he caught my arm.

"Listen to me. Every spy in the area will hear what you did and our enemies will come for you. Our only chance is to get you to Os Alta, behind palace walls, before you get killed. Come on."

As soon as he mentioned death I shuddered.
There was no other option for me at this point.

Well, I guess I'm getting in the carriage.

I let him pull me into the black box and I sat down on the seat opposite him.

We sat there for some time and just as I was about to ask what we were waiting for, the carriage door opened. Another Corpralki climbed in and laid a red coat on my lap.

"Put it on please." He said, eyeing me with what seemed to be amazement.

I picked up the coat and slid my arms into the red fabric.

This is what the Grisha wear.

Why would they give one to me?

I wanted to get answers, but knew better than to ask since the man who had gotten me into this carriage didn't seem like he would answer.

I eyed the other man suspiciously and leaned back against my seat.

As soon as we started moving I looked out the window to see if I could find Mal.

The carriage rode past the medical tent and I saw him lying on one of the cots.

Thank the saints he's okay.

"Mal!" I screamed to get his attention, and luckily, it worked.

"Ana!" His voice was like music to my ears after worrying about him for so long.