• Chapter 28 •

Song of the chapter: Have We Met Before (with Eric Nam) by Sarah Barrios and Eric Nam

Play when you see the **

⋆------- ○° ❃ᔝ❀ᔝ❁ᔝ❀ᔝ❃ °○ -------⋆

**

Sitting this close to him in his bed while wearing his undershirt makes me wonder if putting it on last night was really the best idea. My breath hitches as one of his hands pushes a strand of my hair behind my hair. His fingers then trace the outline of my jaw as his eyes drop down to my lips for a split second.

Then, as if he just now realizes what he's doing, he removes his hands from my skin and backs away before looking into my eyes once again.

"We're getting back to Ravka today, so get dressed and prepare to ride a horse from the port back to the Little Palace." He turns and exits the room with a nod, leaving me more confused than I've ever been.

He's so hot and cold recently, and I can't seem to figure out why. I throw the black covers off my legs and place my feet on the wooden floor by the bed. I stay like that for a few moments, wondering what I possibly could have done to make him act like this. But, of course, I come up with nothing to answer my question.

I sigh, running a hand through my hair before I stand and make my way to the wardrobe. I take out a pair of pants and a white long-sleeved shirt that should be suitable for riding and slip Kirigan's undershirt over my head. His smell is intoxicating, and it's almost enough for me to leave his shirt on.

I know better, though, so I put on the pants and the shirt that is less comfortable than Kirigan's. Holding the black fabric in my hands, I quickly pack it inside a bag that I can hang off the side of my horse's saddle. I'm sure he has more just like it and won't miss this one.

I shrug the strap of the bag over my shoulder and make my way towards the door. Before I can reach out and turn the handle to open the door, I turn back and look at the room that has been my home for the past month and a half.

I smile to myself as I remember all of the good moments Kirigan and I have shared here. As soon as I'm ready, I turn back around and open the door, only to find Kirigan waiting for me on the other side. I jump due to the shock of someone standing where I didn't think anyone would be, which causes a lo chuckle to sound from Kirigan.

I glare at him playfully, "Oh shut up. How was I supposed to know you'd be standing right there."

"What if I said I think I liked it better when you weren't speaking," he jokes, and I hit his arm gently.

"I would say that I can make that happen again if you'd really like, but somehow I don't think you actually want that," I smirk, knowing I'm right.

He takes a moment before speaking again, "I guess you're right. I must admit, the sound of your voice is music to my ears."

I know he's still joking with me, but it doesn't stop the blush that creeps its way up my cheeks after he says that. I definitely missed this. We fall into a comfortable silence as we begin walking through the ship to what I assume is the upper deck.

Soon enough, we reach the stairs that lead up into the sunlight, but I stop him before he can begin ascending the stairs. He looks at me and furrows his brows in confusion.

"I wanted to apologize for my behavior before Elijah...before he took me. He told me things I should have known weren't true, but I was naive enough to believe him." I admit, causing a knowing look to cross Kirigan's face.

"So he was the reason for your anger?"

"Yes. He told me that you didn't keep any details from Fedyor, Ivan, him, or Zoya about the night you brought me dinner. He even knew everything that happened and told Zoya to make his story more convincing." I look down at my hands in shame.