• Chapter 17 •

My fists clenched by my sides, and I felt anger stirring inside me. I set my jaw, and while she stopped beside me, I tried to keep walking.

I can't let her get to me.

"Oh, are you just going to run away every time you see me? I saw you in the library when you didn't think I had noticed you." She chuckled to herself, "Your face was priceless, and then you completely went the longer distance to get to a bookshelf when all you would've had to have done was walk in front of me."

I stopped walking and turned towards her. She smirked to herself, arms crossing as she did so, and rage flooded through me.

"Hello, Zoya. Goodbye Zoya," I acknowledged her, hoping that was good enough, but of course with her...it wasn't

"Aw, did Elijah tell you what happened, and that's why you're in such a bad mood? I saw him usher you away and figured that's what was happening," she stuck out her bottom lip and feigned sympathy. "I'm so sorry, Anastasia."

I was almost at my breaking point, and then she spoke once again when I didn't respond to her.

"At least now we know why the general had his eyes on you so much."

That's it.

"And at least I'm not a selfish bitch who has to sleep with him to be important around here," I sneered.

"You listen to me, you little-"

I cut her off quickly, "No, you listen to me. I will not tolerate you coming after me. You see, I actually have people who like me and you...well, you don't. No one likes you, Zoya; therefore, I have all the power in this situation. Who do you think people will want to please more? The lowlife Grisha who constantly mocks everyone or the Sun Summoner who will save this country? Think about that the next time you speak to me. Better yet, don't ever speak to me again. Got it?"

I didn't wait for an answer before walking away towards Baghra's hut. I knew she was still standing there when I had rounded a corner. As soon as I was no longer in her eye line, I stopped and put my hand against the wall and closed my eyes to breathe.

A smile grew on my lips, and when I opened my eyes, I looked to the mirror on the opposite wall. I had felt a fire ignite in me, and it felt good. For too long, I was the girl who let people push her around whenever they wanted. I was the girl who never stood up for herself. I was the girl who was weak.

As I saw my reflection, eyes glinting with strength, and a smile dripping with confidence, I decided this was how it was going to be from now on. No more being pushed around, no more not standing up for myself, and no more being weak.

If only I had known what it would take to get me to this point. I would never have believed this is what would occur. Only an hour ago was I a complete wreck over a man who had manipulated me into thinking I was special to him. Now, here I was, making myself all shiny and new.

I have never needed Kirigan.

All I have ever needed is myself.

With that thought, I nodded to myself in the mirror and continued to Baghra. Maybe with this newfound confidence, something would come of it. Perhaps I would finally be able to call the light on my own.