• Chapter 19 •

"Shut the door," Kirigan demanded, and the guard followed his orders. After the large door shut loudly behind Elijah and me, my fingers began fiddling with the cuff of my kefta.

"Why are we here, General?" I asked, trying my best to sound formal due to the company we had.

"Oh, Miss Starkov, there's no need to be formal now. Just this morning, you were calling me Kirigan." My cheeks caught fire, and I looked down at my feet. I could feel every eye in the room on me right now, especially Elijah's.

I knew he must have a dozen questions, so I made a mental note to tell him exactly what had happened whenever we got out of this meeting.

"As to the reason you are here, I've gotten word that a Fjerdan has snuck into the palace looking to kidnap or kill you." Kirigan's eyes. were staring into me as my eyes widened.

"Wha-how? How did a Fjerdan get through the guards?" My mind was racing. How was I supposed to feel safe when someone was in this palace looking for me.

The general rubbed a hand over his face and sighed, "We don't know how. The only thing we know is that he did and that he is looking for you."

My heartbeat sped up, and I felt dizzy. I squeezed the bridge of my nose with my pointer finger and thumb to try and calm down, but it didn't work. The rise and fall of my chest wasn't going to slow anytime soon, and with each passing breath, I felt more and more lightheaded. My knees buckled, but I never hit the cold marble floor because Elijah had caught me.

"Are you okay? That's the second time today I've saved you from falling, princess." He smirked as he lifted me back onto my feet

Why would he say that in front of Kirigan?

When I looked over to Kirigan, there was no mistaking the anger his eyes held, but when he opened his mouth, he didn't say anything about what Elijah had just done.

"You will have a guard with you at all times-"

"Can I choose my guard?" I cut him off, and he clenched his jaw before answering.

"Who would you like?" I had the feeling he already knew the answer to that, and he wasn't thrilled.

"Elijah."

Kirigan visibly rolled his eyes, "Of course," I heard him murmur under his breath, "Very well, Elijah will be one of your guards."

I looked over to Elijah and gave him a small smile, "You better not let anything happen to me, or I'll come back and kill you."

"Ana, I would never-" he started to joke before Kirigan's voice cut him off.

"This isn't a joke!" His voice boomed, and I flinched, which made his eyes soften, "Anastasia, can I speak with you in private?"

"Okay." My voice was quiet, and I'm surprised he heard me. With a flick of his hand, the guard escorted Elijah out of the room, and then it was just Kirigan and me.

I hated being alone with him now. Before everything happened, the feeling of excitement would always surge through me, but now it was just nerves. He made his way around the round table that had been separating us, and as he did, I felt my breath hitch. I started backing away from him before he reached out and grabbed my wrist.

"Please don't back away from me. I'm not a threat to you." He said quietly, and the softness of his voice tugged at my heart. I nodded and stopped myself from going any farther.

"Let me protect you. Elijah may be a heartrender, but he can't do what I do. You stand a better chance with me by your side."

I had a choice to make then. Either the man who had always been kind or the man who'd hurt me more than anyone knew. Both of them would do an adequate job of keeping me from harm. I chewed my lip as I thought through my decision, and then I came to a conclusion.