• Chapter 9 •

As I was escorted to my room, I marveled at everything I saw. The walls held wallpaper with intricate designs, and there were beautiful golden mirrors where the light from the crystal chandeliers above me reflected.

I had never been in a place so elegant before, it was like being in a dream. The guards stopped when we got to a set of double doors, and one of them stepped forward to open them.

As I walked inside, I was sure there had been some mistake.

This is all mine?

The doors shut behind me, which made me abrubtly turn to look, but I saw that I was now alone. This gave me the opportunity to do something I wouldn't have had the guards stayed.

My lip began to quiver and hot tears pricked my eyes. I held my hands over my mouth to muffle my sobs as my body crumpled over and I let out all the emotion that had been coursing through me for the past six days.

I heard footsteps and quickly stood up, wiping away the tears that had stained my face. I eyed the doors so that if anyone came in I'd be ready to tell them I wanted to be alone.

It was quiet after a few moments and I slowly let out quick breaths of relief. That's when I began to study my new surroundings.

There was a giant four poster bed in the center of the back wall that had sheer white curtains tied to each post. Two sets of doors next to it that had curtains hanging over the entrance to the rooms beyond. Right next to either side of the bed, there were tall nightstands that each held a lamp. A small, long table with flowers on top as well as a chest, had been placed at the foot of the large bed.

A round table with two pristine chairs sat in the middle of the room, and a tea set had been placed on top of the table. There was a yellow changing screen with golden embelishments against the wall left of the tea area.

To my left was a vanity with it's own lamp, and there were multiple small items laid across the wood. A window was behind the vanity, and blue curtains that were held apart to let light in could be seen.

I walked through the curtains that covered the entryway to the room on the right side of the bed and was stunned to see a gorgeous bathtub as soon as my face was through the curtains.

The bathtub was solid gold, like many things in this castle. There was a robe hanging on the wall next to me, and multiple pieces of furniture strewn about the room.

Why is all of this needed in a bathroom?

I knew most of it wasn't, seeing as there was a chair where someone could sit and watch me bathe, which obviously would never happen. I exited the bathroom and went over to an ornate wardrobe next to the vanity.

I flung the doors open and saw beautiful clothes that felt like silk under my fingertips. The vanity was my next stop, I went through every drawer trying to find something I could defend myself with if needed. In the last drawer I looked in, there was a sharp, gold letter opener.

Perfect.

My feet carried me over the the extravagant bed, and I placed the small weapon under my pillow.

It wasn't long before nightfall came and there had been no sign of anyone coming to get me. In the wardrobe there had been a beautiful white nightgown, and I was so anxious to get out of the clothes I'd been wearing day after day that I slipped the cool fabric over my body.

Laying in the bed I would now sleep in every night was a euphoric feeling. I'd never slept on something like this before. Whenever my eyes closed for sleep though, sleep never came. My hand fell limp beside me and it made me think of Mal.