• Chapter 15 •

At some point during the night I woke up sweating. It was then I realized that I had forgotten to change out of my kefta before falling asleep.

I sighed, dragging myself out of bed and changing into my signature white silk nightgown and hanging my kefta back in my wardrobe. I tried thinking about what had happened before my body had succumb to sleep, but could barely remember anything.

There were blurred bits and pieces that didn't make sense and I would have to find Kirigan tomorrow to see if he could fill in the blanks. I got back into bed, curled up, and fell asleep once more.

I woke for a second time to sunlight hitting my face. My eyes squinted and I let out a yawn, stretching my arms above my head. I snuggled into the covers and closed my eyes again, not wanting to get up.

A knock at the door made me sit up with a groan, "Who is it?" I called out.

"It's Elijah!" His voice was muffled through the door but it still got my heart racing.

I'm in no condition to open that door.

I rushed out of bed and went to the bathroom, finding the velvet robe from my first morning here. I quickly threw it over my nightgown since that was the best I could do right now.

Once I was finally in the robe, the velvet belt tightly secured around my waist, I walked over to the door. Slowly turning the handle, I opened the white wood and peeked around the crack.

"Hi, sorry I may or may not have just woken up," I let out a nervous laugh.

Elijah grinned, "No worries I was just wondering if I could escort you to breakfast."

"I have to change, but that would be lovely," I smiled back at him and then opened the door so he could come inside. "I'll just change in the bathroom, you can sit wherever you'd like."

I grabbed my kefta out of the wardrobe, quickly walking to the bathroom only for me to hear yet another knock at my door.

"Someone's popular this morning," Elijah chuckled.

"Yeah...I guess so." I threw my kefta on the chair and then walked back out of my bathroom over to the door. I opened it a crack and saw Kirigan standing on the other side.

My face flushed faster that it ever had before and my jaw fell open slightly.

What will he think about Elijah being here?

"Kir-I mean general! To what do I owe the pleasure?" My mind was racing a million miles a minute and I just hoped that I could keep him from coming in.

He eyed me with suspicion,"I was just going to ask if I could come inside for a moment to speak with you." He took a step forward and my stomach twisted.

"Y-you know what? We can just talk like this! I'm not really dressed in anything but a robe right now." I laughed, praying to the Saints he would just go along with my suggestion.

He looked at me with dark eyes, a small smirk forming on his lips. "Miss Starkov, I'd hardly say I haven't seen you with anything less."

Any words I could've said got caught in my throat. I just hoped Elijah didn't hear that or I would have done serious explaining to do.