• Chapter 10 •

I opened my eyes when beneath my eyelids I could see light. I stared straight into Kirigan's and a warm rush washed over me. It felt like he was gazing into me and goosebumps rose on every part of my body.

It was like time froze when his eyes met mine. I couldn't look away, and I didn't want to. A smile crept onto my face at the light surrounding us.

This is coming from me.

His lips curled into the same expression mine had, and he moved back to his former position beside me. My eyes stayed on his until he released his grip on my hand.

Everyone began clapping and I heard various cheers from the crowd. When I looked away from Kirigan, the first thing I saw was the King.

He stood up, clapping as he did so, and once the light went out, he spoke.

"How long will she need?" He asked, his question directed at Kirigan.

The general walked forward, "Destroying the Fold will be no easy feet. She alone may not be able to do it."

He looked back as me as he continued to speak, "She will remain with me at the Little Palace to train...undisturbed."

The King looked displeased, but he didn't dare voice that to the general, "Then train her quickly. Our wars have been a noble pursuit, but this chatter from the West about becoming a sovereign nation, that needs to stop. The sooner we are one country again, the better."

"Agreed, moi tsar." Kirigan replied.

He then bowed to the King, and I did the same. As he turned back around to face me, he grabbed my hand. Sparks coursed through me and I'm surpised the room didn't erupt in light again.

"You were perfect," he said as he lead me away, and I smiled, knowing I made him proud.

I don't know why I wanted so badly to keep him happy, but whenever he complimented me, I knew I felt like I was on top of the world.

"I don't know where it came from," I chuckled.

He stopped and turned to me, "It came from everywhere. Because you called upon it to come." He paused, and I held his gaze.

"Welcome home, Miss Starkov." That was the last thing he said to me before he walked away.

I had to catch my breath because before he'd walked away, his face had leaned in close to mine. I thought...I thought he was going to kiss me.

Why would he kiss me?

Don't fool yourself into believing he actually likes you.

As I went to follow him, the Grisha crowded me, many of them showing their support. I was hugged by more people than ever before, and then I saw someone I recognized.

Zoya.

She smiled, "It's an honor to formally meet you." then, she went in for a hug, but when her mouth got close enough to my ear she whispered, "You stink of the orphanage, half-breed."

The joy I'd held on my face faded, and as I pulled back I tried to process what she had said. Before I could though, I was pulled away by Genya, "You truly are one of a kind."

I let myself be guided by her as she continued to speak, "The entire country is going to be talking about you now."

What Zoya had said got to me, my mood now ruined.

"I don't know that I want that Genya..." there was so much more I wanted to say, but I refrained while she took me back to my room.

Once we got to a familiar set of double doors Genya looked at me, "Get changed, you're probably hungry and dinner will be satrting soon. I'll come back to collect you in thirty minutes"