Chapter 15

Riley POV:

Growing up, I was already surrounded with gentle touches and embraced with reassures. My mother was the first to notice that I was a little different than the kids my age, and when she did, she took me to several doctors to figure out why I was a late bloomer in my development. I was first diagnosed with having dyslexia since I didn't speak and when I did, it was only a few words at a time. When I got to the second grade and was going to a bigger elementary school, the signs of me being on the spectrum started showing more. My teacher was the first to bring it to my parents' attention and my mother was grateful to have that information presented to her, despite the way they presented it.

Unfortunately, though, no doctor wanted to diagnose me, stating that I couldn't be autistic because I was at a basic level in my learning development. It was only when I turned fifteen and entered high school, that I was finally diagnosed as being on the spectrum. I didn't mind whether or not I was diagnosed, but my mother did. She had always wanted to make sure I reached my full potential and in the end, I was grateful she cared so much because, for one, it helped me in the long run with understanding other people's emotions. Within the past month or so, I was getting better at reading the Hunters' expressions and matching them with certain feelings, like I was doing right now.

I was fixing Charlie's little bow tie that I had picked out yesterday when we went shopping for clothes for tonight. The crew of Lost Map was celebrating Thanksgiving together, and Dan made it a point that I brought the Hunters with me. I of course wasn't going to leave them out and had asked Hailey to go shopping with me to pick some semi-formal clothes to wear to the dinner. This time around Hailey agreed right away, since she didn't have something to wear, and I took it upon myself to buy some clothes for Charlie. That was where the agreement came to a halt with Hailey, but we ended up compromising with me paying for half of his clothes. I was happy to get to pick some clothes for Charlie and I ended up secreting buying him some more clothes when Hailey was busy.

Right now though, I was having a hard time with making his bow tie as I was constantly looking at the YouTube video trying to follow the steps. Charlie was getting impatient and he was making little whimpering sounds as he kept turning his head to look at the bathroom door. Hailey was getting ready in the bathroom so I took it upon myself to finish dressing Charlie as I was already done. I was in some grey dress pants and a simple button-up white dress shirt with grey suede dress shoes. I had decided against wearing a tie or bow tie since I dislike the feeling of anything around my neck, so I kept some of the buttons on top open. It was simple but I still looked semi-formal.

"Rileeeey, are you done?" Charlie whimpered as he turned to look at me.

"Why didn't I buy the clip-on one," I mumbled to myself.

Sighing, I let go of Charlie's bow-tie and looked at him. Charlie and I were matching in clothes, but the only difference was that he was going to wear a grey bow tie if I could figure out how to tie it. Running my fingers through my hair, I picked up my phone from the bed and restarted the video, so I could watch it again. It seemed simple, but for some reason, I couldn't get the last part when you folded the longer side of the bowtie and put it through the little hole you had to create.

Looking at the video, I only looked away from it when I heard the bathroom door open, and when Hailey step out, I forgot about it completely. Hailey was wearing a grey cocktail dress with frilly ruffles that frame the leg slit on her left side and topped with a shoulder-baring neckline. She was also wearing matching grey high heels, that from the looks of it allowed her to match my height. Overall, Hailey looked gorgeous and because this was the first time I saw her wearing anything like this, I froze on the spot, trying to memorize her appearance. It took her coming to stand next to me and placing her hand on my shoulder for her to break the trance she put me in.